Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract renewal - negotiating for shorter contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Contract renewal - negotiating for shorter contract? Reply with quote

My contract ends in February 2019 and I am not sure if I want to renew for another whole year. They will start asking around November 2018. However, I do want to stay in China, but want to leave my options open for a new job in September 2019 rather than be stuck on a contract with this school. I was thinking of asking them for a 6 month contract form Feb-July (I will have worked there for 2 years by the end of my current contract ) but don’t know if this is possible. Has anyone done this, or is it a case of ask and see?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can really help here. You might want to be nice an say I want to go because x is causing problem y or something like that.
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know that. I was just wondering if institutions ever do this, so was hoping to hear from someone who has successfully or unsuccessfully negotiated a shorted contract renewal.

Either way, I know I’ll just have to ask and see what they say when the time comes.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a win-win. For both the employer and yourself finding a replacement and for the teacher finding a job are probably easier at the end of the academic year. Also, 2 years service is a reasonable amount of time to spend with an employer, in this game, for them to be perhaps more flexible.

Both of my jobs when I started work at times other than the beginning of a new academic year offered a slightly longer contract to have me working until the end of the school year. Surprised the school didn’t do that in the first place.
eihpos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hadn’t thought it from their point of view. When I approach them I will emphasize the advantages for them..

Yeah, it’s a pity they didn’t give me a year and half from the beginning. I didn’t think to ask at the time.
kev20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Yes, I know that. I was just wondering if institutions ever do this, so was hoping to hear from someone who has successfully or unsuccessfully negotiated a shorted contract renewal.

Either way, I know I’ll just have to ask and see what they say when the time comes.

In this scenario I think you should be proactive and ask them to extend your contract before the end of this semester. It will come across a lot better than waiting until they ask you in winter of this year, and you telling them you just want a one semester extension.
eihpos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense..however, I'm reluctant to do that in case another position comes up in the winter!
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances of another position coming open in winter are a lot less than in summer!
eternalw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been them for two years. Wouldn’t it be understandable to say you want to experience other areas, for example.?
The main problem I read about was that infamous letter of release you need to obtain? Maybe someone else with more experience can elaborate more. At the moment, my knowledge is more theoretical than practical...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: