Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Ecuador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Living in Ecuador Reply with quote

First, my apologies if this topic has already been discussed. I did a search and didn't find a thread.

I'm considering a job in Ecuador and wonder about how much salary is enough to live on. Haven't had the interview yet...just want to get an idea that what's being offered is OK. I do realize that SA is not somewhere one goes to get rich.

Also, what is life like in Ecuador? I have some Spanish and plan to learn more. I've also lived around the world and am quite adaptable. My one concern is the altitude. I got horribly sick in La Paz some years ago.

Thanks!!

Rachel
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid there isn't a simple answer. There are huge variations in living costs and living standards in different parts of the country. Where are you considering and what are they offering you?
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm looking at Urcuqui. Salary offered in just over $2000/USD per month.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yachay I assume? You could live comfortably on that and still probably save half each month. Depending on your lifestyle, obviously. The university itself is still new, and a work in progress. There are technical and administrative teething problems. However, the students are motivated and the English teachers I've known who worked there were happy.

Edit sorry I missed your other question. The altitude shouldn't be a big problem, unless you are super sensitive to it. It's lower than Quito. FWIW I visited La Paz and I thought I'd be fine as I was used to Quito, but La Paz was too much for me and I got sick too.
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Yachay. It sounds interesting and I've never lived in South America.

Thanks so much for the info!!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to send me a message if you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: