Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horizon International-Myanmar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Horizon International-Myanmar Reply with quote

Ok so it looks like a pretty low salary- $2600 for 8 weeks-summer camp program.....8 hour day with 25 teaching hours per week.....'shared' accommodation is provided. I'm still interested in this-does anybody have any experience, good or bad. with this outfit? 'Horizon International.'
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for them a few years ago and had a good experience.
I also found the Turkish management easier to deal with than the Burmese(being expats and Europeans themselves)

The bummer about Horizon(apart from the Gulen aspect- google it..)is they only pay you for 10 months and then a whole lot of new faces come in for the summer camp:therefore a 100% turnover of foreign teachers.

Yangon rents have skyrocketed hence the 'shared accomodation'
Not sure the story there but I wouldn't want to live with me Mad

The old campus is lovely and also central but the new one is a bit of a hike although they have a school bus.

Give it a go-there are greener pastures if you stick around for a bit Shocked
gwiffey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with bentanddisfunctional. I worked there last year and it's true, the salary isn't great, but accomodation is covered, and you can still save a decent amount of money if you're really thrifty, and if you happen to already be in SE Asia, otherwise, you probably won't end up saving anything.

As for accomodation, when I was there last year, it created quite a few problems for the teachers and the administration. One of the English teachers even got up and left Myanmar 2 days after arriving because he couldn't deal with shared accomodation. Also, about half of the English teachers came with their boyfriend/girlfriend, and in the shared accomodation, guys weren't allowed to enter the girls' house and visa versa. Needless to say, the English teachers weren't happy,and there was a whole lot of complaining going around, as well as people blatantly breaking the rules, so the school caved in, and split people up, sending anyone who wanted to change to a different living situation. I think there ended up being about 5 different houses/flats that people were living in, among 17 teachers.

As for the old/new campus, you'll probably be teaching at the old campus anyway, which is not a bad location. Not exactly in downtown, but still pretty close compared to the other international schools in Yangon.

As for teaching the other 10 months, I've heard mixed reviews, but the general consensus seemed to be that the summer program is better than the rest of the year, as far as working conditions, though they do pay a lot better during the rest of the year. What I've heard of some people doing is working at the summer camp, then while in Myanmar, trying to network with the other schools in Yangon. Not sure what qualifications you need to get a job at the other international schools, but it might be worth it if you're interested in teaching in Myanmar for more than 2 months.

In short, if you want to experience Myanmar for a couple of months, or want to get your foot in the door (or country), then go for it. Don't worry about Horizon being a bad deal, you'll be fine, as long as you can deal with the shared accomodation bit (which isn't necessarily a given).
CTravel32

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the housing? Can anyone provide a detailed description, perhaps with pictures? I got a job offer from this school a week ago but before I move halfway around the world, I would like to see what I would be living in. I´ve been waiting since last week to see some pictures but it is getting to the point where, if I am going to go, I need to purchase plane tickets NOW. I figure I need to give myself a few days in Bangkok to get the visa so I probably need to leave in a little over two weeks.

So, information would be cool!
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz,

Did you end up doing this?

twowheel
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I did not go through with the job offer and had to decline. Bummer, because it seemed really promising but there were three issues for me. I did not like the fact that no photos of the apartment were ever given, just a link to some rental page. Plus the cold response of ¨Your wife is your issue¨ when inquiring about her. That really turned me off. Which brings me to my third issue which is more with myself than anything else. I can not pay what amounts to about 4 or 5000 dollars to relocate half way around the world with my wife considering the first two points. I just do not have enough money to consider a move like that so I will stay within the region I am currently in, save up and hope a similar move is possible in the future. I have nothing against the school and otherwise the job seemed like it had potential and I had a nice interview with the guy before being offered a position. Oh well.

I also must state that since then, during other job interviews I have had with other employers in other countries, the employer always asks about family and shows an interest in helping the entire family, since, you know, sometimes families need to come with the person being employed...and they are not just my ¨issue¨...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: