Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLantern

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Panama Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Long time viewer, first time poster!

I have a question I hope some people can help me out with. I am planning on heading to Panama, more specifically Bocas Del Toro. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that might take a Canadian like me. I am going down there at the end of the month but I would love to know if anyone has any direction on places i could try.

I have spend the last 20 years in Information Tech and have just recently got my TESOL certification from Global Tesol. All my years I have been involved in some sort of educational company and would like to step in front of the class rather than fixing stuff in the back ground.

Thanks for all the help!
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm in Mexico I can give you some insight into finding work teaching English in Latin America.

Forget it. Consider that anywhere that is a tourist destination will already have a bunch of people keen on earning some money by teaching English.

You could try teaching ESL online, look into VIPKids and 51talk and a host of other online teaching companies that cater to Chinese kids.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you teach ICT or computer studies? English teachers are a dime a dozen but the larger international schools are always short computer and tech teachers that can teach in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GLantern

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can teach computer studies but I don't have a teaching degree in it.

I am going there either way, I was just hopeful since I have the cert.

thank you for the insight Jultime.
lovelatinamerica

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Although I'm in Mexico I can give you some insight into finding work teaching English in Latin America.

Forget it. Consider that anywhere that is a tourist destination will already have a bunch of people keen on earning some money by teaching English.

Hi, does this mean I should give up on my plan of teaching in Mexico next year? I've been planning on teaching there for the last several months. I have been hearing there is a huge demand in Mexico. I have a degree and recently got a certificate.

Thanks
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that if you hope to teach in a tourist destination such as Cancun or Puerto Vallarta you won't find much for jobs and the pay won't be good.

There are plenty of teaching jobs away from the resort areas of Mexico, think inland.
srbscott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: LatinAmerica Love it Reply with quote

to Lovelatinamerica:
Depending on your salary demands, I would suggest Guatemala.
Still close enough to Mexico should you want to visit
guate pays fairly decently, often offers apts. and airfare, al;though not always
And there are many cultural items to check off a B list
Should you be interested, let me know, schools hunting for teachers to start in August 2017...traditional year begins in january (to November) some go August to June
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: