Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

job offer in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: job offer in Qatar Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been offered a possible job in Qatar at 14000 QR,
I'm currently living in Saudi on 12,000 SAR so it would mean
about 500 dollars more I think. However can anyone tell me would
I save more money there? At present I spend about 30 dollars a week.
My biggest extravagance being a burger on the weekends.
Presumably there'd be more vices in Qatar.
Would appreciate any advice available.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Qatar Offer Reply with quote

I am somewhat surprised that you get by on $30 a week!

I am in the middle of seeking work in KSA and I am assuming a monthly spend of $500 (transferring any surplus over).

Is your present company offering you meals in the university canteen or something? Otherwise, the 'extra' $500 may dwindle down considerably.

Also, bear in mind, non-tangible benefits. If you have reasonable students, a reasonable line manager, decent accommodation etc., do you want to gamble those for somewhat unpredictable variants?

It would be interesting to know which city in KSA you are in and which contractor/institution you are embedded in.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

30 a week? Qatar is expensive. A meal out will cost you more than that. A beer's 10 dollars.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklor wrote:
I've been offered a possible job in Qatar at 14000 QR, I'm currently living in Saudi on 12,000 SAR so it would mean about 500 dollars more I think. However can anyone tell me would I save more money there?

Qatar is more expensive than KSA. I suggest you check out Numbeo for cost of living info per country. It will help you gauge how much you could save based on the following: the new job's benefits and allowances; your expected lifestyle/spending habits; your financial obligations (e.g., debts, rents, etc.); and projected savings goal. In other words, how you expect to spend your discretionary income. Without that info, folks on this forum are just guessing about what you can save.
marklor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Siobhan there really isn't that much to spend your money on over here.
Plus I'm not the materialist type I guess. Food and drink and girlfriends are more my vice, all of which are haram to a greater or lesser extent. Anyways that Qatar gigs conditions are pretty appalling and I'd only make an extra 100 dollars a week so I think I might stick around here in KSA on my paltry sum of 12k.thanks to all for the advice.
msaleh

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: job offer in Qatar Reply with quote

marklor wrote:
Hi all,

I've been offered a possible job in Qatar at 14000 QR,
I'm currently living in Saudi on 12,000 SAR so it would mean
about 500 dollars more I think. However can anyone tell me would
I save more money there? At present I spend about 30 dollars a week.
My biggest extravagance being a burger on the weekends.
Presumably there'd be more vices in Qatar.
Would appreciate any advice available.

Qatar is actually quite expensive around. Merely entertaining yourself is going to cost money, unless you decide to spend your days walking around the desert. Many of the restaurants are quite expensive and there rarely are opportunities for a cheap night out. If your comfortable and happy, id suggest sticking with KSA. on the topic of burgers... The burgers at Jan Burger are amazing!
Out of curiosity what city in KSA are you living and the school? Im interested in learning more about working in Saudi.
marklor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Dammam at the moment on a short contract. (second time in Saudi)
I have the month of July off so am just looking around for better offers.
I eat out like once a week...though I'm probably spending a lot on luxury chocolate. But yeah there's nothing to do here and the food is really cheap - I just make a lot of salads and spend a lot of time on the internet. TBH The crew of the ISS probably get out more than I do
Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US30 = SAR110. So you spend less than 500 a month. You qualify for membership of The Fellowship of 500 !
Let this be an example to all those profligates who spend too much on consumerist trash !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: