Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting around age limit w/ business visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
applied linguist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: getting around age limit w/ business visa Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend a high-paying job, preferably at a uni, that comes with a business visa (I'm too old for an iqama at 64).
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"High-paying" does not collocate with "business visa".
applied linguist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear members, I am still waiting for a serious answer. I did not come here for witty reparte.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual method is to look at the job ads.

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/

Some courtesy might help.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applied linguist wrote:
Can anybody recommend a high-paying job, preferably at a uni, that comes with a business visa (I'm too old for an iqama at 64).

Hmm... American Academy recently posted the following on the Cafe job board: URGENT IMMEDIATE HIRE 6-MONTH FAST CASH FOR MALE ENGLISH TEACHERS IN AL-KHAFJI. Razz

You didn't indicate what you mean by "high paying," but salary is contingent upon your qualifications (which you also didn't mention) and is nonnegotiable. Salaries have been declining over the past five or so years. Plus, be aware that business visas are sometimes used by the sketchiest of contracting companies (for-profit businesses), so unless you're desperate, definitely research the company before applying or accepting an offer.

There currently are a few companies with ads on the Cafe job board touting biz visas/work visit visas for job seekers with certain qualifications. (It took me just a couple of minutes to find them, including the one mentioned above.) I suggest you head to the job board to check them out yourself to see if you meet the requirements.
applied linguist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, nomad. I assume the members here can help me steer clear of the bad employers. Dave would admit that some bad ones might get through his vetting. I was hoping someone currently working for a good one in need of another teacher could give me a tip. Anybody here working on the Kafji job? How is it? So two visa types will get me around the age problem: business and work/visit?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters and employers pay to advertise on the Cafe's site; it's highly unlikely the individual(s) managing the Cafe's job board vet customers based on any negative reviews. They leave that up to the posters within these forums.

As for working on a biz visa or work visit visa, take a look at the following:
bigdurian

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, if you want high paying jobs, then forget unis.

I personally know a guy recently employed by Blueforce in Dharran at the age of 68.

But, and this is a big but, he does have military teaching experience. If you don't, then you're probably not going to get in at your age.

Salary was okay, $60-70k per year all in. Two to a villa, compound accommodation. There was a thread about the place recently. Do a search if you're interested.

Try your luck, you never know, I think it was septics only though.
applied linguist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me about Blueforce. I turned them down a year ago because of the shared housing, but I was in better circumstances. I think they do iqamas, don't they? Can US defense contractors get iqamas for older teachers? I would actually prefer a business visa.
siologen

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: re: biz visas Reply with quote

I do recall QEHC proferring biz visas in the past. American academy definitely do as of now. There may be others as well, like onthemarktefl and shabaka recruiting.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applied linguist wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about Blueforce. I turned them down a year ago because of the shared housing, but I was in better circumstances. I think they do iqamas, don't they? Can US defense contractors get iqamas for older teachers? I would actually prefer a business visa.

Blue Force only give out Igamas. You seem really picky for someone over the age of 60. Some low paying jobs such as QEHC, etc. offer business visas.
hash

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

applied linguist wrote:
Thanks for reminding me about Blueforce. I turned them down a year ago because of the shared housing,

If BlueForce "offered" you a job last year it seems to me they're still your best bet. Obviously, you had something they wanted, otherwise they wouldn't have offered you the job. And they had something you wanted otherwise you wouldn't have applied.

But are you sure they actually "OFFERED" you a job which you then turned down (because of housing) or do you really mean YOU DIDN'T APPLY at all because you found out about the shared housing before submitting your application? Either way, they seem to me to still be your best bet.

I'll tell ya right now. That job you're really looking for?? The one that's a university job, paying about $65 thou a year with a cozy campus where everything, including single housing is located , and that would hire you on a business visa ( as you said you preferred)?? Guess what....

That job doesn't exist.

In the real world, jobs aren't "tailored" to the individual's tastes and preferences. They are what they are.....take 'em or leave 'em......beggars can't be choosers....and so on.

The ageā€“old truisms that we all grew up with......the ones imparted to us at our mothers' knees....guess what.....they still hold true, regardless of rumors to the contrary.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
applied linguist wrote:

Blue Force only give out Igamas. You seem really picky for someone over the age of 60. Some low paying jobs such as QEHC, etc. offer business visas.

That's strange because I heard that previously everyone was on business visas, and they are only now trying to get people onto iquanas.
siologen

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: re: all very confusing... Reply with quote

I still wonder how one gets paid if no bank account in home country and on biz/work visit visa? That is what has me baffled. With those types of visas, as I have found out, you cannot open a bank account in the KSA (and thanks to NS for her visa types thread, all very helpful).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: re: all very confusing... Reply with quote

siologen wrote:
I still wonder how one gets paid if no bank account in home country and on biz/work visit visa?

I'd guess most expats maintain a bank account in either their home country or current country of residence (or both) as a depository for their savings and/or emergency fund.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: