Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No experience - making myself more employable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deano2727

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: No experience - making myself more employable Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently doing a TEFL course. Next year, I would like to head off somewhere, preferably Latin America, namely Colombia. I want to go over there and experience the place and learn some Spanish. I plan on staying for a minimum of 6 months. I wish to teach English to make some extra cash while over there.

I have no degree (though by doing a couple of outstanding exams I have, I can probably get an associates degree), nor do I have any teaching experience. What I am wondering is, what can I do to make myself more employable? I plan on learning Spanish and being conversational when I arrive. I would also consider doing a CELTA course on top of my TEFL, if it would help. I am going over to India in a few months and would like to do some volunteering in order to gain some experience. Am I doing the right things to make myself more employable?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I could do to make myself more employable, as someone with no experience or degree.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you plan to teach EFL? Is this a short-term thing or something you want to do long-term?
deano2727

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
How long do you plan to teach EFL? Is this a short-term thing or something you want to do long-term?

I am 24 now and I said to myself I will travel the world until I am 30, give or take a year or two. I will teach EFL where I can along the way. I want to settle down in places I visit for a minimum of 6 months.

At the moment, somewhere in between short and long term. If I can progress though and enjoy teaching, I would certainly consider it as a long term career.

I want to do it for long enough, that it would be in my interest to invest time and money in to it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find your teach-n-travel plan challenging; that backpacker lifestyle faded away years ago when many employers and country regulations started requiring expat teachers have, at minimum, a BA degree, and a commitment to teaching more than six months.

If you want to teach long term and legally, you'll need to get more than an Associate's degree. That's where your financial investment will likely go. Plus, visiting a country for adventure and teaching here and there doesn't reflect the reality of living as a legal resident and responsibly holding down a teaching job.
deano2727

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You might find your teach-n-travel plan challenging; that backpacker lifestyle faded away years ago when many employers and country regulations started requiring expat teachers have, at minimum, a BA degree, and a commitment to teaching more than six months.

If you want to teach long term and legally, you'll need to get more than an Associate's degree. That's where your financial investment will likely go. Plus, visiting a country for adventure and teaching here and there doesn't reflect the reality of living as a legal resident and responsibly holding down a teaching job.

I understand it won't be easy, but surely there are things I can do other than spending 4 years obtaining an honours degree?

I am unwilling to spend 4 years in education, after being in it for so long. For these next few years, I want to see other parts of the world. I am happy to settle down somewhere for a year or two. As much as I want to see many different places, the idea of settling down somewhere and truly getting the feel of a place appeals to me greatly.

So other than a degree, what other things can I do to make myself more employable? As little of a difference it may or may not make.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano2727 wrote:
I am unwilling to spend 4 years in education, after being in it for so long. For these next few years, I want to see other parts of the world. I am happy to settle down somewhere for a year or two. As much as I want to see many different places, the idea of settling down somewhere and truly getting the feel of a place appeals to me greatly.

So other than a degree, what other things can I do to make myself more employable? As little of a difference it may or may not make.

Get a CELTA and avoid those countries where you risk deportation if caught teaching without a degree and without a work permit/visa.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin American countries in general do not require a degree for a work permit. The exception is Ecuador. (The last time I checked, Mexico required a document related to teaching English for this purpose, but accepted a degree OR a TEFL certificate.) That said, employers may still require a degree as part of the hiring process, and without a degree you will not have access to the better jobs. But it doesn't sound as if your goal is to acquire one of these "better jobs," anyway. A good TEFL course, a professional demeanor, and some experience will put you in the running for many entry-level jobs in much of Latin America.

But certificates and pieces of paper are beloved in Latin America, so acquiring that AA would be a big point in your favor, and another piece of paper to present. Get the AA, get a good quality TEFL, and follow it up with some experience--volunteer experience is widely available in LA. (A CELTA is a TEFL cert, by the way. it is the best known TEFL certificate. So it is not a question of "doing a CELTA on top of my TEFL.") Smile No degree is a strike against you, so it MIGHT be to your advantage to choose a CELTA as your certificate course, simply to have the most recognized certificate. You can check this out for specific countries; in general schools ask for a "CELTA equivalent" course, emphasis on the "equivalent."

And it would give you a big head start to take your TEFL course in the country where you would like to begin working. The opportunity to network during the course is invaluable, with local up-to-date information on who is likely to hire you without a degree, and who is not.

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do the 6 month thing a couple of times but then employers will notice the trend and ignore your applications. I would never consider anybody for interview who had more than 2 jobs in two years.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be an airline pilot but don't fancy all this tedious certification. What is the best way ?

if you are serious about getting into teaching - get a degree !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: