Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Agent Services (Referrals)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Visa Agent Services (Referrals) Reply with quote

I am looking to cut through the red tape and find a visa service that can handle the cumbersome authentication for a US degree and not finding any in the search. Any recommendations on visa services that can get it done?
dakelei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There simply aren't any that can handle every step. I currently live in one state and the university from which I graduated is in another. Each step requires not only a multi-hour drive but must be completed on a weekday, during regular business hours. I work those hours. I'm about 80% ready to give up on returning to China. If the goal of these new policies is to secretly keep out we foreigners, it's succeeding.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin man wrote:
I am looking to cut through the red tape and find a visa service that can handle the cumbersome authentication for a US degree and not finding any in the search. Any recommendations on visa services that can get it done?

Google document authentication services to find an agent in your state.

It's really not a cumbersome process. You'd need to contact your university registrar's office to ask them about certifying the validity of your degree (with the registrar's notarized affidavit) for employment in China. Once that's done, the document would need to go to the secretary of state for the certificate of authentication. (This would be the SoS in the state your university is located in.) I suggest you check the SoS's website or contact them to see what their process is; some states require an additional step at the county level. After the state does its thing, follow the rest of the process per the Chinese consulate's instructions.

dakelei wrote:
There simply aren't any that can handle every step. I currently live in one state and the university from which I graduated is in another. Each step requires not only a multi-hour drive but must be completed on a weekday, during regular business hours. I work those hours.

No need to drive everywhere; use FedEx.
dakelei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted my university and was told I need to do it in person. I can't FedEx myself there.

A bigger problem is that it seems no one at any office I have contacted for help knows what to do. Even the Chinese Consulate in New York doesn't 100% understand the process. The school that has offered me a position also doesn't know. This is just another example of Beijing handing down a new policy with no consideration whatsoever for those who actually need to carry it out.
tin man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: lead Reply with quote

I got a lead from the recruiter but they are pricey. They said they can handle everything but it is $300 per document. I think there are others that are less money.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakelei wrote:
I contacted my university and was told I need to do it in person. I can't FedEx myself there.

Unless there's some sort of hold on your academic records, that makes no sense -- former international students who have returned home certainly wouldn't be expected to fly all the way to the US just to get their American diploma verified.

Did you speak directly with the registrar? That's who you need to contact and ask about other options to have this done.
JeremyDay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Recommendations Reply with quote

You can't get a authentication service to do all of it. It just isn't possible. They require the diploma to be notarized and authenticated by your secretary of state.

If you cannot go home, I would suggest investigating the following:

Contact your university and see if they notarize diplomas (some do not). Then, ask them if they would allow a family member to collect the new notarized diploma.

If not, then see if they would allow a family member to collect it with a power of attorney or by signing some type of authorization with the university. That could be a whole other set of issues by itself.

If your university does not notarize diplomas, then investigate an e-notary. I found an e-notary at: www.notarycam.com/legal/. I have never used it, but it seems legit.

To e-notarize the document, you would need to create an electronic copy. When I ordered my two new diplomas, I immediately scanned a high quality copy on my computer.

Before you do anything, visit Visarite: http://www.visarite.com/auth_diploma.htm

I'm not referring you to their services; but rather, I'm pointing you in the direction of an outlined process that worked for me. It clarifies what you need to do.

Before you send a diploma to a courier service, it must be notarized and authenticated by your secretary of state. They outline these steps (I used their checklist for reference, even though I did not use their service).

Basically, if your university does not notarize diplomas, you must type, print on (by putting your diploma in a printer), or alter your diploma electronically with the something like this (in a blank area that is large enough to hold the text):

"I, (signature), declare this (the attached) is (my true original diploma) or (a true, exact and unaltered photocopy of my diploma)".

The statement should be signed in presence of the notary (maybe an e-notary). The notary should add an acknowledge statement such as

"Signed and sworn (or affirm) to before me this ____ day of_______________, 20___."

Then, the notary should place the notary seal and his/her signature.

Then, once it is notarized, you can print it off onto high quality paper (or rather, your family member or friend can), and it will be mostly indistinguishable to the real diploma (depending on the style of diploma that your university uses).

I'm not advocating that you cheat. This isn't cheating. This is finding a way through a process that satisfies China and accomplishes your goal. My diploma says, "my true, original, diploma." I decided to use my original.

I recently was the first person to get a local police check in Tianjin under the new system. It was the first time that they new agency had done the document. Sometimes, to cut your way through the red tape, you have to be creative. I visited four different places by direction of each of these agencies. They didn't even know what to do. In the end, I found a way to make it work.

I ordered my diploma pretty easily online. You might search your university page for this (there should be a section on their webpage). If it is really a face to face process, it might be easier to convert your in hand diploma to an electronic version and try some of the things above. Good luck.
dakelei

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in touch with the registrar's office at my university and was told I needed to appear in person to do it. I found it puzzling, of course. My thought is they are authenticating THE DOCUMENT, not me, so why do I need to be there?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakelei wrote:
I have been in touch with the registrar's office at my university and was told I needed to appear in person to do it. I found it puzzling, of course. My thought is they are authenticating THE DOCUMENT, not me, so why do I need to be there?

For starters, universities do not authenticate diplomas or academic transcripts. The registrar certifiies/confirms that you graduated from X University via an affidavit that he/she signs.

For example, the following is printed on the back of my diploma:
    "I [registrar name], University Registrar, certify that this is a true copy of the original diploma presented to [me/student name] on [graduation date]."
He then signed his name right below the statement. Under his signature line is the notary's signature block attesting that she confirmed the registrar's identification and witnessed his signature. In other words, she authenticated the registrar's identity. The SoS then attached a fancy-looking "Certificate of Authority for a Notary," which essentially certifies that the notary public is currently commissioned in the state and that her signature on [my] notarized diploma is genuine. In other words, the SoS certificate is what authenticates the diploma.

You need to be clear to your registrar (not someone in the office) that you are heading to China for employment purposes and that you need to have your diploma notarized. No need to mention anything about authentication in your request.

If you want, PM me the name of your university and I'll see if I can find info on their website about notarizing diplomas.
dakelei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the registrar at my uni today and was told, again, that I need to appear in person to do everything. They will "notarize" the diploma.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live outside the USA and have used an agency in Washington, DC to authenticate my uni degree and process my Z visa last year.

Very professional and reliable. I will be using them again this year to process my new work visa.

PM if you want the contact info.
tin man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: agents Reply with quote

According to Jaybet3 and from my findings, it seems like an agent can indeed get things done. Although, I will know more on my end in the next few weeks.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakelei wrote:
I called the registrar at my uni today and was told, again, that I need to appear in person to do everything. They will "notarize" the diploma.

I don't know what you mean by "they'll do everything," but I suspect this is somehow specific to you and not the university's standard requirement. Anyway, it is what it is. I hope this China job and all the hassles are worth quitting your US job.
tin man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: agent Reply with quote

Nomad

The agent claims that they can get the degree and police check authenticated. The school recommended them and taking responsibility. I will know more in the next few weeks how they perform.

I can't comment yet on quitting my day job Smile. I do enjoy teaching.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the stress of this retarded new requirement several businesses have popped up that will notarize your doc and get it through the Chinese Embassy. I am using one now also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: