Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecole Polytechnique Lausanne African Scam ESL Offer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltgomez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Ecole Polytechnique Lausanne African Scam ESL Offer Reply with quote

Some scammers with thick African accents purport to be recruiters for

Ecole Polytechnique in Lausanne Switzerland ESL department

I "love" their fake logo in Skype and a fake school email with an .org instead of .ch.

Then, you can't open the site if you try to go there.

I also "loved" the interview where they did not open the cam, but spoke in a very pronounced deep African voice.

A total scam.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this (see my own EPFL scam thread).

Weird (and highly frustrating) experience.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deleted my own Lausanne post and have pasted my personal experience below:

If you see an ESL vacancy advertised for the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland, it is likely to be a scam, apparently originating from Benin.

I saw this vacancy advertised on www.eslemployment.com for a net salary of 3600 euros.

After my initial application, I received a request for a written interview which I wasted my time filling in. I didn't spot the email address [email protected]. Instead of .org it should have been .ch.

I then got an invitation for a Skype interview with a Dr Mortensen. The phone number arranging this interview came through with a +41 prefix, which is the official Swiss prefix. I googled the name and Dr Mortensen does officially exist at EPFL - he teaches in the Mechanical Metallurgy Laboratory. I found that strange, but he had teaching experience at M.I.T., so I went ahead with the interview.

Then the penny dropped. There was no visual on the Skype interview and the accent seemed to be Nigerian.

Afterwards, I phoned the real Dr Mortensen at EPFL and he said I was the third person to telephone him. This scam originates in Benin according to him.

I was tentatively offered the job but strangely there is one month's training in Austria. I was not asked for any money, but I suspect some upfront request will be forthcoming. I will play along so I can garner some more information to pass on to the polytechnique and/or the Austrian police.

I should have twigged the .org address initially, and the Metallurgy professor was another warning, but maybe the scammers don't expect you to google the name.

A native speaker would immediately suss the West African accent, but perhaps a non-native speaker, attracted by the lure of Switzerland and the 'foreign' accent might be caught up.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy oh joy, my oral Skype interview has been deemed successful and I am requested to answer the following questions concisely.

(I shall post any further updates in due course).

Having successfully completed the oral interview,you are advised to provide concise responses to the questions below:

1. As a new teacher , what kinds of support would you expect
from the administration and teaching staff to help you
adjust to and be successful in your new position?

2.Describe your teaching style in five sentences.

3.What ways do you assess and evaluate students?

4..What can you say about ability grouping?

5. Can you provide a recent proof of your health status from a reputable hospital/Medical practitioner?)

6.Would you need a single or double room private apartment while working in Switzerland?

7.Do you intend to have dependants , pet. while in Switzerland?

8.Do you already possess a working visa/permit to work in Switzerland?/would you require one?

9. What other things would you like us to know about you?

10. What is your salary expectation for this job?

11.If selected,will you be available to commence duties from the month of September 2017?

Please be notified that there will be one month training in Austria prior to job commencement in Switzerland.The training starting date will be made known to you as the process advances.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this process.

You will be promptly contacted with further information upon receipt of your responses to the above queries.

Warm regards,
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: The bite of Benin Reply with quote

I'll hazard a guess as to where this is leading: the air fare to Austria will be reimbursed, but they'll require you to book your ticket through their designated travel agency (link provided). Just enter your credit card details!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you will be asked to pay some sort of visa fee to their designated lawyer;-)
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall keep the thread updated in due course.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told me that training would be in the UK. Unpaid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: