Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working at a CAS through Al Nawa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jandunlop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Working at a CAS through Al Nawa Reply with quote

This is an advisory offered to those people who might be entertaining the notion of working for one of the CASs through Al Nawa.

In the many years I have taught ESL in the Middle East, I can categorically state that I have never heard so many blatant lies (whether through commission or omission) coming from one group of people – which is all the more remarkable when one considers that they often ignore direct inquiries.

The people representing Al Nawa are known to use ‘bait-and-switch’ tactics. For instance, rather than being honest, Al Nawa’s people are known to tell some recruits what they want to hear and/or write BS in their emails just to get them on the airplanes. However, once you arrive in Oman they will issue you a weasel-worded contract to suit their needs, which of course does NOT necessarily reflect what they led you to believe prior to your departure from home. The term transparency is not know to Al Nawa’s people, and its CEO uses Omani law to suit his needs—not yours! In other words, all overseas contracts are worth only what the employers deem suitable, and if you work for Al Nawa then you are incredibly vulnerable.

Good luck with trying to get all of the money that is owed to you. What they promise is not necessarily what they deliver.

If you have any doubts, contact Al Nawa and politely request the contact information of a few expats who have recently just left the same college where you will be working, as well as the names of a few expats who are returning; such prudence might save you a great deal of grief. I expect Al Nawa will either ignore your request or choose not to hire you.

Finally, many CAS instructors complain but ultimately accept the unfair and unhealthy working conditions developed by Al Nawa. However, at my campus, several seasoned expats did ‘runners’ for the first time in their lives because the working conditions were so stressful. Some people even recording their conversations with others in an effort to protect themselves.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jandunlop. I'm very sorry if you have had a bad experience and I mean that sincerely. Although I worked for a CAS, I never worked for Al Nawa (I was with Hawthorn until they lost the contract).

However, seeing as tumble weeds have been rolling across this forum for quite some time, I'm posting because it's perhaps unlikely that there will be anyone else to respond to your post. Anyway, I have quite a few friends who are working for Al Nawa in Salalah, I'm in touch with them regularly via Facebook and, at least with them, things appear to have been going OK. One of them just resigned at the end of his contract and he received his full payout. I don't know whether to get it if that was a hassle or not, but, he was definitely paid out in full. That's all second-hand information, so people can take it for whatever they think it's worth.

Anyway, I've got no truck with Al Nawa, and I'm not trying to start an argument. However, I think it's fair to say that people's experiences can differ. For example, I had a fantastic time working at RMIT in Vietnam, but, another Daves' poster, who also worked there, used to occasionally post on the Vietnam forum and say it was hell on earth. Not saying she is wrong to feel that way, just that we have different experiences and perspectives on the matter. Besides, Al Nawa are a large employer and there really aren't that many teaching options in Oman, especially if you don't have a Masters and Gulf experience. I thought in fairness, I should post the above. If there is anybody else out there with direct, first-hand experience of Al Nawa and wants to add their perspectives then, of course, that would be great.

Sorry again if you have had a tough time lately and best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: