Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online teaching and holiday time question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafomania

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Online teaching and holiday time question Reply with quote

A question for those of you teaching online.

I am thinking about teaching online but am curious to know, especially for the long term online teachers, what kind of holiday time you are offered from these companies.

Also what are the policies for requesting the odd day off, such as Christmas day, or absences due to sickness.

Cheers

Very Happy
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is getting a lot of readership but no replies. This is a topic that I'm interested in and looking at the various employers websites there is little/no information on how to schedule downtime.
guobaoyobro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there's no easy answer, as it's pretty much company to company. Most I have seen say you must give 1-2 weeks notice before taking any time off. I'd assume if you take a lot of time off, it'd hurt your retention ability, but it sounds like you just want a few days. Wouldn't worry too much.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for a couple of on-line companies.
The policies are inconsistent between companies.

For companies that pay for your contracted time whether you have a student or not the policy is no work = no pay AND a penalty of 10-20% of wages that would have been earned.

For other companies that just supply bookings then no work = no pay and you still have to meet the booking minimums for the week/month.

For a longer holiday - just take a couple weeks or a month off between contracts. No big deal.
Holiday breaks during your contract are a big deal and will cost you your students. Details are in your contract.

Labor contracts for on-line work do NOT conform to western standards of employment. They are not required to and your local labor laws are not enforceable against a company that does not have a physical presence in your local jurisdiction (ie: they are in China).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: