Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competitive position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_morales

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Competitive position Reply with quote

Hi everyone. What would a competitive salary for an EFL/ESL teacher in Moscow be at the moment? August 2017

Also, if there's anyone in Moscow teaching at the moment, any inisght would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Have a good day everyone.

Also, for any Americans in Russia at the moment; a question. Is it possible to apply for a Russian Visa without having to go to the Russian Consulate. Can one do this by mail?
teachertefl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have lived and taught in Russia, but have never been to Moscow, so I can't comment on that. As far as an average salary goes, check out the International Job Board on this site, and subscribe to TEFL.com's newsletter to see what jobs are available in Moscow, and what pay rate they are offering (always assume it's the lowest amount stated). Schools centered around business English usually pay more than others.

You can absolutely get a Russian visa by mail, and the application is filled out online. I have done this three times already. There is only one official company that does this: ILS, or "Invisa Logistics Services." They handle all visa purchases between U.S. citizens and Russian Embassies/Consulates. On their website you will find what documents you will need, and how much everything costs. The bad thing is they have made things more pricey than in the past, but many schools will reimburse you for visa costs, as an incentive for working for them under contract. Also be aware that if you go to Russia on a Work Visa you will have to pass a Russian language and culture test at some point.

http://ils-usa.com/page/62?domain=5&language=10
i_morales

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
teachertefl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, glad to help Smile
remolacha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! About the visa I can say for sure that it can be done through online service (I did it here, I`m very pleased with their work https://myvisatorussia.com/en/info/ ) And even in Moscow it`s a big problem to find a good teacher of english, although such a big city ... I have been changing English teachers for a year already, I can not find a suitable one
09Turner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remolacha, your post intrigues me. Smile

Why do you think it is that the quality of teachers you have found is poor? Is it something about the kind of people who are attracted to living in Russia or Moscow in particular?

I'd love to hear the management side of this dilemma. Could you shed a little light on your experiences? Why is your turnover so high? Were they bad teachers, bad employees, or just bad people?
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: A good question? Reply with quote

Russia traditionally attracted adventures of all kinds from those wanting to learn Russian 'in-situ' to people fleeing something, including alimony payments!It was never an easy place for Russians to live, let alone foreigners and indeed many expats were paid very good salaries and benefits by international firms to compensate for 'hardship'.
Not so teaching jobs with most private Russian firms, except a handful of top schools who hire international staff with the best qualifications and experience.
Consequently staff turnover is high, as teachers either find better positions in other firms or even quit the country when it all gets too much.Many firms seem to operate on the basis that they can always find 'someone' to fill their vacancies until another person comes along and there are plenty of horror stories on this site from those who had bad experiences.Since the economic and political climate deteriorated a few years ago due to Ukraine and Crimea etc. the situation has become much worse with salaries in real terms being worth only half of what they were before, especially when converted into foreign currency.Consequently, people tend to quickly get disillusioned, despite often arriving with enthusiasm and good intentions?In all fairness, Russians often earn far less than foreigners are paid so this should be borne in mind when trying to make an accurate assessment of what life is really like for millions of ordinary and decent Russian people today.
i_morales

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Thank you for this info. Reply with quote

teachertefl wrote:
Hi,

I have lived and taught in Russia, but have never been to Moscow, so I can't comment on that. As far as an average salary goes, check out the International Job Board on this site, and subscribe to TEFL.com's newsletter to see what jobs are available in Moscow, and what pay rate they are offering (always assume it's the lowest amount stated). Schools centered around business English usually pay more than others.

You can absolutely get a Russian visa by mail, and the application is filled out online. I have done this three times already. There is only one official company that does this: ILS, or "Invisa Logistics Services." They handle all visa purchases between U.S. citizens and Russian Embassies/Consulates. On their website you will find what documents you will need, and how much everything costs. The bad thing is they have made things more pricey than in the past, but many schools will reimburse you for visa costs, as an incentive for working for them under contract. Also be aware that if you go to Russia on a Work Visa you will have to pass a Russian language and culture test at some point.

http://ils-usa.com/page/62?domain=5&language=10
linn78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any company offers a "competitive" salary, it means they are offering you the lowest possible salary that moscow has to offer. this is probably about 40-80 thousand a month for 30 academic hours a week depending on if they take care of your accommodation or not. the best paying jobs won't be found online. check out some of the Moscow teachers groups on facebook, lot's of decent jobs paying 2000 rubles an academic hour for part time gigs.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: I fully agree with the previous posting... Reply with quote

The main drawback to the advice given though is that freelance jobs advertised on the Facebook pages recommended(and elsewhere) are aimed at people already in Moscow and who have their own accomodation etc.I went there this way and although I made good money, it was over ten years ago when it was much easier to get in using a multi-entry business visa etc.Since then thouigh, they have changed the rules which limit maximum stay to three months unless you have a work visa which is applied for by the firm you work for and allows you one years stay without having to leave the country.The problem is that they are not likely to approve of you working freelance elsewhere to make extra money and may ensure that you don't have the time to!
The best way to do it,if you can find a firm, is to be employed as a consultant, rather than a salaried teacher, although you will most likely
still be liable for your accomodation and other living costs.
Partizan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh given the current socio-economic conditions now in Russia, you would want to be a tad bit on the eccentric side to even consider working in Russia or Ukraine as an ESL teacher.

The good times have long gone.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: The sad reality... Reply with quote

I would agree with you on that- unless you can get a prestige job with one of the international schools which pay well you will end up in Moscow with a lifestyle like someone else who has just posted about their experiences and returned for the second year: or you could fare far worse and end up in in one of the Mac Schools in a dingy suburb and soon quit in desperation!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: