Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Normal waiting time for visa procession

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revilo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Normal waiting time for visa procession Reply with quote

I turned in my visa package to a visa agency in DC (last Aug. 23) and I sent my check for the processing. (about $450 Mad )

They cashed the check last week and no word from them so far. Is this a case where no news is good news? Confused
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people are on holiday right now because of Eid.. Normal services should resume next week..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your timing. They were likely closed for Eid al Adha (holiday), which I believe was Aug. 26 - Sept. 6.
revilo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So even if my visa gets approved this month, there will be another holiday in mid Sept. (National Day)?

That means I look at 4 walls of my apt. while my iqama is processed. The next holiday in KSA will be in Jan. or Dec.?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academic calendar hasn't been set yet because of late start.. There will be a break around mid January. You will probably get clearance to head out in a few weeks..
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
That means I look at 4 walls of my apt. while my iqama is processed. The next holiday in KSA will be in Jan. or Dec.?

there will be days to come where you will long to do nothing but look at those four walls. Grab a beer and enjoy the moment.

Stuff happens in Saudi when it happens. Are you aware that your orientation has already started?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never went on a procession for mine. Ever.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

things have changed since you left. Now, it's so rare to get a visa they have a procession for you. Makes it all worthwhile Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left a long time ago but the scars never heal.
revilo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of scars that heal, I had knee surgery and IPA makes their direct hires go to gov't hospitals for surgery. That means waiting to see a doctor and navigating thru the Saudi medical system.
I bypassed that mess by going to a private doctor, which is expensive but cuts down the waiting time. Then IPA told me to provide original docs for my medical records.
To add insult to injury (literally) IPA docked my pay for the number of days I missed from work.
For those who think that direct hire is the way to go, I have a number of stories that refute that. I pay medical out of my own pocket, I pay my iqama, and I pay for transportation to and from work. The housing allowance they give me is so low, it only pays for 1/2 year of rent (it's a measly 17,000 SAR / year.) The rest is outta pocket, so I must save for the last 6 months.

The surgery only cost about 1 month of pay, and I negotiated a free night of hospital stay (which would have been double the cost of surgery). If I let costs get out of hand, I won't have much for savings, which was the whole point of teaching in KSA.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revilo wrote:
For those who think that direct hire is the way to go, I have a number of stories that refute that. I pay medical out of my own pocket, I pay my iqama, and I pay for transportation to and from work. The housing allowance they give me is so low, it only pays for 1/2 year of rent (it's a measly 17,000 SAR / year.) The rest is outta pocket, so I must save for the last 6 months.

You're no stranger to working in KSA. Why did you pursue this particular job?
revilo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of Qassim students nagging me for favors. I wanted a big city and IPA was hiring about a year ago. It was that or go to American University of Iraq and teach Kurds for 50K per year. However, if things went south, I'd be stuck close to the Iranian border and dependent on the mercy of Iranians.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: