Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highest and Lowest Salaries You've Gotten in Career?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which implies that while newcomers would have no chance at this type of job, experienced teachers might just have a chance. And if experienced teachers would have a chance of securing this type of lucrative job, wouldn't they want to know about it? Thereby you are making the assumption that the majority of people reading this thread are newcomers and therefore don't need to know about it. Otherwise, why mention newcomers at all?

Nomad is correct: newcomer is not the same as newbie.

Last edited by spiral78 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Plus, instead of passively expecting others to "give you all the info," you should be able take those suggestions and conduct further job research on your own.

Again, I agree. I never said I expected to get a complete and comprehensive picture of any situation from strangers on the internet. By 'give me all the info', I was specifically referring to not intentionally holding things back or pre-filtering what info you think is suitable for me.

nomad soul wrote:
BTW, I interpreted spiral's use of "newcomer" to mean "new to the region" and not someone who's a "newbie" to TEFL.

Either way he is still making assumptions about the readers of this thread, no?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
Only stating the barriers to entry into a job where I work.

Back to the original point, it's useless to ask for information about salaries for numerous reasons, among them situations like mine which exist but which aren't available on the job market.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
By 'give me all the info', I was specifically referring to not intentionally holding things back or pre-filtering what info you think is suitable for me.

Seriously, you're not likely to get a lot of pre-filtered or watered-down info if you're clear about what you're interested in.

and wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
BTW, I interpreted spiral's use of "newcomer" to mean "new to the region" and not someone who's a "newbie" to TEFL.

Either way he is still making assumptions about the readers of this thread, no?

Not really. But then, I'm familiar with spiral's academic creds, extensive experience, and job responsibilities. Keep in mind, some roles require multiple hats, which makes the position specialized as well as specific to a certain region. Plus, as spiral stated, there are no projected openings any time soon. No point in leading readers on about a job that's as rare as a total solar eclipse over the US. Cool
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Back to the original point, it's useless to ask for information about salaries for numerous reasons, among them situations like mine which exist but which aren't available on the job market.

I disagree. Salaries information CAN be useful but that usefulness is directly related to the quality of said information. In threads such as this one, I agree that not much useful information is going to arise. However there are multiple threads in other sub-forums where established posters have provided a wealth of salary information which has been backed up / corroborated by other posters. Some of these threads have been made into stickies so obviously in some cases the mods agree about the usefulness / relevance of such information.

Now, should you take this salary information as holy gospel without checking other sources? No. Should you automatically place a heavy weighting on the quality / correctness of such information? No. But such information can (under the right conditions) form a useful part of your research into current salaries and conditions in specific regions.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Tired of the silly argument that my personal salary package might be useful information to anyone, when jobs in 'my' institute are not open regardless of quals.

Last edited by spiral78 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
However there are multiple threads in other sub-forums where established posters have provided a wealth of salary information which has been backed up / corroborated by other posters. Some of these threads have been made into stickies so obviously in some cases the mods agree about the usefulness / relevance of such information.

Now, should you take this salary information as holy gospel without checking other sources? No. Should you automatically place a heavy weighting on the quality / correctness of such information? No. But such information can (under the right conditions) form a useful part of your research into current salaries and conditions in specific regions.

"Current" is the key word. Of the small number of sticky threads that include discussions about salary, only one or two have recent comments while the others are quite dated. What posters claim to have earned X years ago doesn't reflect today's reality of stagnant/flailing global economies, tightening visa regs, political instability, competition from qualified nationals, etc.

If you're going to take the time to research info on positions you're interested in, it's best to rely on current ads for salary info and the requisite qualifications (i.e., nationality, degree level and major, relevant experience...). Otherwise, apply to see what the employer determines your specific quals are worth.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Deleted. Tired of the silly argument that my personal salary package might be useful information to anyone, when jobs in 'my' institute are not open regardless of quals.

I think we've moved beyond discussing your own personal salary. You've clarified the reasons behind why you don't want to disclose your personal salary and that's fine. But when you make a sweeping universal statement that ALL salaries information is useless, well that's a statement that I find to be inaccurate.

Now, NS raises some good points about checking the relevance, timeliness and accuracy of salary information posted here. I agree with most of her points, especially that of information coming from ads, job postings and other documented sources taking precedence over forum based information. Having said that, that doesn't mean that ALL salary information posted here is useless. I maintain that some of it can be useful, under the right circumstances.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowest paid: Around US $175 per month. (Plus housing, utilities, Spanish classes and a few other miscellaneous perks.) For all practical purposes a volunteer job with an organization the UN was supporting.

Highest paid: US $68,000 per year. This was not only the highest salary I've received, but was supplemented by what the UN calls a "post adjustment" of over $42,000.

These are my extreme highs and lows over the course of 40 plus years. They are the outliers. Most of those years fell into the $34K--$52K range. The job I enjoyed the most averaged around $4,200 for a month-long contract (plus housing and flights), but was unpaid during the 4-5 months of the year when I did not work, so my annual income was less than stellar. (But the life enjoyment factor was high!)

sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: $14 per hour, part-time Reply with quote

The lowest I have received "HOURLY" part-time (which is quite common in the USA for adult level) is $14 per hour.

Yes, $14 per hour and then you're required to sign a form saying this is part-time, no possibility of full time employment, no sick day pay, no health benefits, no holiday pay, no out of class or prep time compensation.

Plus, on another job of the same salary, copy the "benefits" above, I was required to attend seminars for no pay.

HOWEVER, at the last job they did pay for lunch our last day there. That was our benefit.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While abroad...
Lowest: $280/month in Ukraine (ages ago). Of course, my rent was $25/month...so everything is relative.
Highest: ~$4.5K/month in Russia (five years ago). At this point I had a family and a mortgage, so it didn't go super far.
The best salary/gig in terms of standard of living was in India (2004), where I made $1500/month, but my (pretty extravagant) housing was paid for, all up-front costs were reimbursed, and I had almost no expenses. I was able to travel rather extensively within the country and throughout SE Asia on that money. Of course, I didn't save much (though I got a decent tax return/pension check from the Indian government at the end). Anyway, I'd do it all again.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in China:
From 8k->12k
From 34k->?
Chinese Yuan and monthly.

Lower paying job had a lot more crap work than the current one.
sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$14 per hour, part-time with according to the contract we were required to sign "no possibility of full-time employment, no sick days, no holiday pay, no prep for class time pay, no over-time...."

Not sure I would call that quote unquote a salary.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$250-300 US/mo. plus serious long-distance entry/return/winter vacation flights (tickets up front!), with housing in a developing Georgian village. An officially government, "Volunteer" job paying more than local teachers earn fwiw. Some spartan conditions but the people were great. I banked about half the pay with effort -- but try to imagine supporting a family on half phew.

$2,500/mo. at a Chinese international boarding high school, 2nd tier city. Certificate and some experience required. The place was a bit of a basket case in its first year of operation, and students tended to avoid homework like the plague. But there are quite a few variations on this general theme around east China apparently.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
Thanks to Spiral for clarifying his position.

And I agree with NS and Kalkstein that these types of threads rarely produce any 'meaningful' information.

However, beyond the scope of this particular thread, I still believe that my point remains valid. Let me attempt to clarify. In an ideal world, all posts would contain all the necessary details that we would need to make a decision. In reality, you have to parse through all the information yourself and then decide what's relevant for you. In line with this, I'd still like to see all the data points available rather than having information filtered / pre-selected for me. If we focus too much on averages and ignore other data points then I think we can sometimes miss out on some important information.

Highest: UAE Prep Program take home $8,000 (30,000 AED) a month and 60,000 AED went for rent, so 300,000 AED a year or about $80,000 take home a year, no taxes. One round trip flight and insurance, including 2000 AED in dental.
Lowest: USA Language school take home $15,000 a year which was taxed, no housing, but had health insurance coverage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: