Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The King's Funeral
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMF08D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: The King's Funeral Reply with quote

Can anyone shed some light on the impact the King's Funeral will have on day to day life in Thailand. Due to some unfortunate circumstances I will be arriving in country during the week of the King's funeral and don't quite know what to expect as far as the country is concerned. Will everything be closed that week? Will public offices be closed or transportation be suspended? I would really appreciate some advice on how to handle arriving in country during this time period and what to avoid in order to remain respectful to the people of the kingdom and their culture. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

All the best
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The announced dates are Oct 25 - 29, with the 26th as the day of the actual cremation and the only official holiday. There will be throngs of mourners pouring into the city for this once-in-a-lifetime event. If you have not yet booked accommodation, you will likely need to leave the city. If you have a place to stay, it might be worth your while to catch a glimpse of this unique occasion.

In either case, you will undoubtedly be able to watch it on tv. Another certainty is that you will need black/dark/somber clothing, a white shirt with black trousers at a minimum for men; women, a nice black dress that covers the shoulders, etc. If you go the beach/islands, this will be less important. Still it would nice to dress appropriately in the evenings.

Anyway, although Thursday the 26th is the only day, I wouldn't expect to get much done those days plus several days beforehand and afterward circa Oct 20 - Nov 5, and wouldn't want to be on the move during that time, just in terms of crowds and inconvenience.

You can get the latest local news here:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/section/kingdomgrieves
AMF08D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By city do you mean Bangkok or just any city in general? [/quote]
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ceremonies and rites will take place at Sanam Luang (The Royal Field) next to the Grand Palace and the Chao Phraya River on Rattanakosin Island in the oldest part of Krung Thep Mahanakhon (Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit) aka Bangkok.

So, the crowds will be headed there. I imagine there will be some local subsidiary events and ceremonies held in the provincial capitals, but don't think those will attract unusally large numbers.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a flight back, arriving on the 29th of October, but changed it to November 1...especially since they are enforcing TM 30 rules in CM, and that requires a visit to Immigration, upon returning from outside the country (on the same visa extension). That whole week will be a wash. The Thais are to be commended for showing a lot of class during this mourning and transition, but I will be watching from abroad. If you have plans and reservations...give it a go...as stated, dress "polite," and stash a bunch of beers in your room, or maybe a perfect time to buy a bottle at duty free.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were supposed to be arriving in country on the morning of the 25th. We haven't decided whether we should go to Bangkok or directly to Chiang Mai. Our first move is to go get all of our documents authenticated at the American Embassy and then go over to the MFA to legitimize our documents for use in Thailand. If all this can be done in Chiang Mai then we would want to go there as were trying to avoid all the chaos in Bangkok. Otherwise we'll have to navigate BKK in a few days time as were supposed to start teaching on Nov 1.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What documents are you going to MFA with? Only heard of that with income letters in a few places. If you already have a job, come with a B visa. You can get your diploma notarized as an original in the US, although the process varies by state. The president of most unis is actually a notary, and that seal is the same thing...also varies by school. Your secretary of state can attest to the validity of his stamp, but Thailand is not a member of the Apostille Convention. Notarization at the US Consulate Chiang Mai, or Embassy BKK will cost 1800...per document. I have been living in CM for four years and haven't heard of MFA requirement here. Have heard of police check...which could also be notarized in the US. As far as 25 October....the worst week of the year to get anything done. The truly reputable schools in CM will; take care of paperwork for you...the others will act like they know what to do; but really don't. If you don't have the right visa, you will likely be heading to Vientiane....and they definitely want a police check.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, this is excellent advice and information.

Quote:
What documents are you going to MFA with? Only heard of that with income letters in a few places. ...I have been living in CM for four years and haven't heard of MFA requirement here.

Yeah, I was also wondering about this going "over to the MFA to legitimize our documents for use in Thailand", but thought that maybe things have changed since I last worked there many years ago.

Quote:
The truly reputable schools in CM will take care of paperwork for you...the others will act like they know what to do; but really don't.

This is another good point. A good employer should be able to answer any questions regarding visas, documentation, holidays, etc. I'd try to get some clarification from them.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression we need to have our degrees authenticated by swearing an affidavit at the embassy and then have the degree authorized for use in Thailand. Do the FBI background checks need to be authenticated as well? We are still in contact with the school but we haven't yet spoken to anyone about the specifics of the contract or the process of obtaining the non-b and WP.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
I was under the impression we need to have our degrees authenticated by swearing an affidavit at the embassy and then have the degree authorized for use in Thailand. Do the FBI background checks need to be authenticated as well? We are still in contact with the school but we haven't yet spoken to anyone about the specifics of the contract or the process of obtaining the non-b and WP.

Get you FBI check and Diploma notarized as a true and accurate copy. That will save $$$$. Determine which of the three Thai Consulates or Embassy you will be dealing with. Look at their requirements for a B Visa to teach. Letter, degree, police check...then inform your school what they need to provide you. You can get your WP, once you are here. Unless it is a rare case, where you can hand them your passport, and get it back, with everything in order...it will suck. Better to do in the US.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can background check and diploma be notarized in the US before arriving or is this something that needs to be done in Thailand?
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my State, the police check comes notarized. The seal on my diploma is the seal of a notary (the Uni President is a public notary). Get your "B" in the US. Bring a notarized police check with you....for my visa, a local cop shop letter was fine, now they want a State Police report. The next step would be FBI clearance. A notary only states that the signature is real, or the document is an accurate copy....getting a stamp at the US Embassy only states that you swear it is authentic..it is not proof that it isn't a fake.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I have enough time to get a 'B' here in the states. My diploma would have to be authenticated through the state department in DC and same for my background check. We're arriving on Oct 23rd so I doubt I could get everything sent, processed and mailed back before we leave. Plus, I thought in order to receive the nonB you had to have letters of employment from the school and there were some things the school had to do on their end to get it processed with a WP
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually look at the Embassy in DC's requirements for teachers? Only a State pk!ice check is required. You need the original letter from the school, which they should have sent you weeks ago. You are setting yourself up for A) working illegally B) Horrendous paperwork and a nasty trip to Vientiane C) lots of expenses. If you had the B from the US,you would have been much safer working while your WP was in process.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We couldn't get an interview until we are in the country. They won't send anything to us until we pass the interview so it's kind of a catch 22. We aren't able to arrive until Oct 25th and our first day will be Nov. 1st. These are the terms and circumstances of our situation. So we will have to get everything done once we're in country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: