Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Curious, Where Do ESL Mercenaries Go For the Money?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Just Curious, Where Do ESL Mercenaries Go For the Money? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I recently started a community and am looking for a place to slave for 3-12 months and save as much money as possible.

In my travels, I've lived in places like Nepal with no electricity, hot water, and internet.

I've lived in boring places like Saudi, or dangerous places like Libya. No problem with me. I can even use a gun if necessary to defend myself, even though that's never happened.

I am lucky enough to have a great woman in my life so I don't need to go to a country with women.

I am very adaptable and can teach up to 50-60 classes a week consistently, teach 12 hour days seven days a week, as long as I get my 8 hours of continuous sleep.

Where are the best places to slave away and earn some money to save?

1. I'm guessing oil rigs in Libya, Kurdistan, or offshore would be the best place?

2. What are the exact qualifications necessary?

3. Anyone can feel free to PM me if they'd rather.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your qualifications (education, TEFL cert, experience)? All you've given is that you can use a gun and live in primitive conditions. Confused

Anyway, Kurdistan doesn't make the list for high-paying jobs. Oil gigs in other countries are lackluster due to political instability and/or economic slump. Your best bet are the numerous US and UK defense contractors for the Saudi military. Head to the KSA forum for info and advice.
bj80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, I have a CELTA and about five years of experience in five countries.

But, I would not mind getting a CELTA or a Master's in TESOL, if there were lucrative jobs waiting for me.

Any opinions, besides heading to the Saudi forum?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Any opinions, besides heading to the Saudi forum?

Get certified as a teacher. High school certified STEM teachers are in huge demand globally. The salaries are 5x what you would earn in EFL plus there are the generous benefits packages that usually come with them.

Avoid countries like the USA where teachers are treated like sh1t and the salaries are lower than what an EFL teacher makes in Asia.

bj80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What certifications are good for STEM?

PGCE? Master's Degree?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:

But, I would not mind getting a CELTA or a Master's in TESOL, if there were lucrative jobs waiting for me.

I believe you mean Delta.

If you're looking to "slave away" for a few months up to a year in order to rack up some savings, why would you consider first spending money and time on additional credentials? Plus, for years you've been posting about getting a Delta but never followed through.

Sounds like you're curious but not serious about moving forward in some sort of career.
bj80

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the honest opinion.

To me, I just don't want to waste money on credentials that may not be worth it. I just had such a bad time in undergrad that I felt it didn't do much.

I guess a DELTA could be worth it, as long as there were jobs that paid $5K USD or more.

I'd be happy to follow through if there was some payoff. Is there?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such place.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting the qualification is only going to get you halfway to a good job. You also need to exercise some iniative ... and get a bit lucky.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bj80,

I can't tell if you want a 3-12 month job that will allow you to pile up some money (as in the OP,) or if you are interested in which qualifications will help you to maximize your earnings over a number of years (subsequent posts.)

Regards,
AGS

Edited: to correct confusing typo.

Last edited by AGoodStory on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:

To me, I just don't want to waste money on credentials that may not be worth it. I just had such a bad time in undergrad that I felt it didn't do much.

I guess a DELTA could be worth it, as long as there were jobs that paid $5K USD or more.

I'd be happy to follow through if there was some payoff. Is there?

Jobs that pay $5K or more per month would require a commitment to further education and professional development on your part. Over the past few years, you've asked about the value of an MA TESOL, South African PGCE, California teaching license, and the Delta. Shocked

Surely after five years you have some idea what you want to do. Confused Otherwise, maybe teaching or education isn't your thing.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could save $5000 a month in China if you're willing to work hard. If you're white and from a native country.

Public school job working 20 hours a week will pay $2000 plus accom, then you can work weekends 10 hours a day x $50 a class to make $1000 per weekend.

You'll be tired but you could easily make even more, depends how many hours you're willing to work.
Kalkstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
You could save $5000 a month in China if you're willing to work hard. If you're white and from a native country.

Public school job working 20 hours a week will pay $2000 plus accom, then you can work weekends 10 hours a day x $50 a class to make $1000 per weekend.

You'll be tired but you could easily make even more, depends how many hours you're willing to work.

That's extremely generous. First of all getting $50 a class isn't that simple of a task and to get it continuously over the course of a weekend (20 different time periods) is very, very hard thing to do.

Even to get half of that it may take him years of effort and he's already stated he only wants to work for 3-12 months. Assuming he manages to achieve 3500 USD/month after a year, if he then quits he's going to lose all his student base and he won't be able to get them back. Even if he comes back a year later nobody pays for unreliable tutors, especially not at that price - they'll flock to cheaper priced more reliable competitors who can teach their kid over many years. The only people I know who have had long term success doing this are those who take their work serious (which takes a lot of effort and money) and are stable.

He also has to deal with things like cancellations, holidays etc..

His best bet is to get qualified to teach science then sign a 1 year contract for an international school. They tend to pay 25,000-30,000 pre tax as a starting salary.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50 is 275 RMB an hour, on other specific Shanghai or Beijing websites there are endless endless training schools prepared to pay that. So he could load up on as much as he wanted.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

Possible but not within the timeframe the OP is talking about (3-12 months) unless he gets very lucky.

P.S. USD 50 is approx RMB 330 (not RMB 275)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: