Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are alcoholics attracted to summer camps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knedliki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy at a summer camp in Spain was shooting up in the dormitory that I shared with him. I went in the room in the evening and there he was sticking a needle in his arm, about 2am that night I woke up and he was hiding behind the curtains with his face pressed up against the window!
He was told to leave the next day.
And whatever it was that he was injecting, he'd ordered it off the internet and after he left jiffy bags kept coming through the post with his name on them.

The school didn't report him to the police so he probably just waltzed into another job somewhere else.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESL World attracts more than its fair share of alcholics and losers because it's easy to get into, easy to find work and, most importantly, losing a job due to alcoholism will not spell the end of your career.
cartago

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an alcoholic and there's a fine line between partying too hard, which is how it normally starts, and having a serious problem. It's an addiction. I was normally pretty high functioning and managed to keep it secret. I'd make sure to shave, shower, put on clean clothes and pretend to be normal.

I think summer camps may attract desperate people and perhaps that's why they attract so many alcoholics. It's funny, when the OP mentioned having to carry them, at first I took that literally, like they were so drunk they couldn't walk.

I did some summer camps and hated it but I actually wasn't drinking heavily at the time because of the situation, sharing accommodation with other teachers and I wasn't as heavily into addiction at the time.

I decided teaching wasn't for me and got into working in the media.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
I'm an alcoholic and there's a fine line between partying too hard, which is how it normally starts, and having a serious problem. It's an addiction. I was normally pretty high functioning and managed to keep it secret. I'd make sure to shave, shower, put on clean clothes and pretend to be normal.

I think summer camps may attract desperate people and perhaps that's why they attract so many alcoholics. It's funny, when the OP mentioned having to carry them, at first I took that literally, like they were so drunk they couldn't walk.

I did some summer camps and hated it but I actually wasn't drinking heavily at the time because of the situation, sharing accommodation with other teachers and I wasn't as heavily into addiction at the time.

A fine line - so very very true! Well done on posting this & I hope you're enjoying life in your chosen profession!
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="getbehindthemule"]
cartago wrote:

My utmost respect to you for acknowledging this. The people I worked with were in complete denial about the situation, to the point of having a stand up row with the owners and managers of the business. There was clear, incontrovertible evidence that the DOS at this camp simply hadn't done the job, hadn't carried out what they were contractually obliged to.

I hope you're in a space that's right for you. I'm lucky I've done most illegal substances in strict moderation (drawing the line at certain things). I was a regular if infrequent user of party drugs for the best part of ten years. Alcohol can take it or leave it, I just had a month not drinking at all, no problem substituting fruit juices for wine and beer.
ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
depechemodefan1966 wrote:
ISSAKAB, a great point that you have raised. I've worked at camps, in Ukraine, every summer since 2013 and never went into a lesson in the morning with a hangover, or showing any signs of the previous evening's drinking. In fact, the only times I would have a drink is in the afternoons when I didn't have to teach, or participate in any activities. I would go into the local town and have a few beers in a beer garden, but it was usually with a meal. Getting back to the camp, I would head straight for my room.

The only 'heavy' drinking I did was on a Saturday evening, by myself in my room because I didn't have to work on the Sunday, so therefore, did not mix with the kids. I am lucky in that I don't get hangovers anyway. But, yes, it's true that kids know you have been drinking, even it you don't have a hangover. It's the smell of it. I think at camps, you need to have a moderate drink to while away the boredom, the isolation and being away from home.

By the way, I always insist on my own room. I don't do sharing.

Totally agree. I've now got a much better paid position lined up at a different camp. I've been promised I'll have my own room. So yeah, I'm done with sharing. Yes, a drink in moderation certainly helps relieve the boredom. I'm all for moderate social drinking. And whatever did we do before we had smartphones and an i tunes / googleplay subscription? Perfect evening for me is some wine and a good film to watch.
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
I love a drink myself but never go out and get drunk the night before I have to teach. Two reasons: 1. I respect my students/position. 2. It's a nightmare going into work hungover in any type of job, let alone teaching, ugh!
Unfortunately the industry is full of heavy drinkers and alcoholics. I know loads of em. One person I know (female/very very heavy drinker) basically goes into teach Kindergarden drunk most mornings!

I've shown up to teach at most twice. Both times were memorable for being the worst days ever. So yeah, I tend to hit the sack at a reasonable time the night before going into work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: