Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slovak university

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
applied linguist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Slovak university Reply with quote

Does a 3rd country national need his diploma apostilled to work at a Slovak university?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, but if you have a job offer obviously they are going to tell you for sure. Such gigs are relatively uncommon.
applied linguist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The university does not know and expects me to figure it out. The Slovak Office of Labor's website has this (machine translation):

"...necessary to prove the relevant professional competence by documenting the relevant documents."

So I need some advice from a TCN working in Slovakia with a temporary-stay permit. Did you need your diploma apostilled?
Kofola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that this is a bit late and you have probably already sorted things out. But just to provide some sort of a response for others in future.

Just for the record it is impossible to answer your question without knowing what kind of contract you are on and on what basis you were or will be awarded temporary residence.

I have a lot of (non-teaching) contact with universities and have never been fobbed off when asking for information about questions regarding legalities. Quite the opposite. This would raise alarm bells about the employer for me.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The university in Slovakia could find an answer to the question IF THEY WANTED TO. Surely there is a Law Faculty and the HRD have contacts with lawyers and with the Ministry of Interior.
applied linguist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got the apostille, just in case. Here's another question. I am being offered a one-year contract, but there is a good possibility I will leave after a semester. I mentioned this to the employer, and he said no problem. Maybe not as far as he is concerned at the moment, but does anybody know whether EU countries have something similar to the Middle East, where an employer or a ministry is able to block your change of sponsorship, future employment, etc., for not completing a contract?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any way they can create any record for the region. However, I also don't know why they would have any interest in a teacher for only a semester (unless it's to cover for someone temporarily away) - it's not even sufficient time to get minimally oriented.
applied linguist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody here actually know anything?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no European system similar to that in the Middle East through which your future employment can be blocked.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be informal networks. What is to stop the interested employer using his "connections" to phone your original employer and ask for the lowdown on the lecturer who "deserted his post" ?.

However, there is no formal system anywhere in Europe (EU or non_EU) which would allow an employer to put a stop on your employment.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

applied linguist wrote:
The university does not know and expects me to figure it out. The Slovak Office of Labor's website has this (machine translation):

"...necessary to prove the relevant professional competence by documenting the relevant documents."

So I need some advice from a TCN working in Slovakia with a temporary-stay permit. Did you need your diploma apostilled?

I don't know if it is just me, but, if the university can't answer these sort of questions then that's an employer that I would probably be pretty reluctant to work for. Capable, knowledgeable and helpful administrators are worth their weight in gold and, in my experience, usually don't get the credit they deserve within the workplace.

Of course, there is always going to be some things, when you move places, that you are expected to do (medical checks, getting transcripts etc.) and it's not all on them. However, they should have an idea on the process. If they can't provide answers to those sort of questions at this stage then I wouldn't be surprised if you have quite a few administration problems down the road. If you don't have that support now then you can't expect it later. This might turn out to be just a few minor inconveniences or a complete bureaucratic nightmare.

Anyway, just my two cents, and I guess it might come down to how much you want to work there. Besides, I've never even taught in Europe, but, just saying, for me, this would be a concern. Best of luck to you anyway.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a small country like Slovakia there are links through informal networks that outsiders cannot hope to access or even understand. The Rector or other administrator can pick up the phone and speak to some buddy he knew at school or someone he did Military Service with. If these guys cannot answer your simple questions. walk away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: