Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current pay rates in HCMC.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Thach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Current pay rates in HCMC. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am sure there are significant variations, but on average, amongst reputable schools in HCMC, what would be regarded as a fair hourly rate for a new but qualified native speaker teacher?

THANKS.
skarper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere between 10 and 30 dollars an hour.

I am sure there are people getting 10 usd an hour and who are glad of it and people getting 30and maybe more.

As MIS has it - it depends.

A newly minted certed newbie? Probably 15-20 usd an hour.
TRH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe from reading your other posts that you are overseas Vietnamese. A Viet Kieu US citizen teacher once told me that his pay was "less than yours, but more than the Filipinos." I expect that put him at $16-18. He went on to start an immigration consulting business and left teaching. Once you get some time on the ground, you too may see other opportunities.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
If there was a bell to be rung signifying the passing of the golden age of westerners teaching English in VN, I think that moment has come and gone. There are other forces that will also eventually change the landscape, such as online teaching, which could allow very good teachers to give presentations to large numbers of students while chipping away at the position of the not so serious teachers who have been able to eke out a living.

I do not see these changes substantially leading to a degradation of the favorable cost of living here, and the fun time we can have just soaking up the sanuk. But I would less and less plan on getting paid for my amazing ability to jabber away in our native language, while cleverly throwing balls around the room or whatever it is we do these days. You can drag it out as long as it goes on, but don't forget your opportunity costs. If you are wasting your best money making years dodging floods while going from one school to another, you may rub the pollution from your eyes and find that you have missed out on a chance to invest in your own country while you could still buy at least SOMEthing over there. Another 10 years, I wonder if any property in any decent location will be affordable to normal wage earners.

Definitely.

Wise words.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great input from all.

It should also be mentioned that, unlike just five or so years ago, HCMC and Ha Noi are no longer your only options for work.

I'd advise people who are considering VN to look into the possibility of living in any of the smaller cities

Population pressure strains Ho Chi Minh City roads to the limit
https://static.tuoitrenews.vn/ttnew/r/2017/10/23/transport-infrastructure-1508729174.mp4
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Great input from all.

It should also be mentioned that, unlike just five or so years ago, HCMC and Ha Noi are no longer your only options for work.

I'd advise people who are considering VN to look into the possibility of living in any of the smaller cities

Population pressure strains Ho Chi Minh City roads to the limit
https://static.tuoitrenews.vn/ttnew/r/2017/10/23/transport-infrastructure-1508729174.mp4

Long-term is a major problem in VN. Quality of life issues for sure, traffic is getting worse, not better and more autos on the road everyday with tariffs being lifted.
Tell me about the beautiful world class parks & green spaces in HCMC & Hanoi again... Razz
thrulensdark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
If you are wasting your best money making years dodging floods while going from one school to another, you may rub the pollution from your eyes and find that you have missed out on a chance to invest in your own country while you could still buy at least SOMEthing over there. Another 10 years, I wonder if any property in any decent location will be affordable to normal wage earners.

There is that trade-off, but in the end I still think you will have the better story to tell, Mark.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: LENGTHY POSTINGS Reply with quote

Lengthy postings exceeding 300 words have been removed from this thread per board policy.
SimonW1986

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies was not aware of that word limit.

In summary as I think it is important what I said was.

1. Still good to start out in ESL in Vietnam.
2. Try to work for one company and in only 1 or 2 centers.
3. More and More good VN teachers.
4. This is mostly in the big cities.
5. lots of developing smaller cities, jobs are popping up more and more there.
6. still at least 10 years left of the jobs for experienced people.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

As for "teach the teacher," isn't the Peace Corps going to handle that initiative? How much of an impact will that have on pay rates over the next 5 or so years?
TRH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

nomad soul wrote:
As for "teach the teacher," isn't the Peace Corps going to handle that initiative? How much of an impact will that have on pay rates over the next 5 or so years?
Yes. "You heard it here first" as newspeople used to say but remember that was a John Kerry/Obama initiative. The US State Dept which funds the Peace Corps has proposed 30% cuts to its own budget under the current administration. Cuts to the Peace Corps could be even deeper. At any rate it can't have any more negative impact than backpackers do now.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 am Post subject: Postings Questioning or Commenting on Moderator Actions
Public comments or questions regarding Moderator actions or decisions have never been permitted on this board.

Instead, address your comments/questions by PM to a Moderator.

Public posting of such comments/questions here will result in a permanent ban to include the iSP.

This policy is applicable to all forums on this board
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: