Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not China but like China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Not China but like China Reply with quote

After several years I would like to leave China. Does anyone have any good suggestions which country to go to that is as similar to China in the following areas which I enjoy about teaching at the university level in China.

Low hours: 12-16 a week in China.
- I'd be willing to work about 25 a week.
Salary: $1300 a month.
- I will need about $1750 a month
Vacation: Two months in the summer and two months in the winter.
- I would like to keep this or a somewhat smaller amount is acceptable.

A few things I should point out. I already taught in Japan and South Korea and I don't want to go back to either one of them. I would hope this thread doesn't devolve into why I don't want to stay here in China. Just need a change is all. I'll keep it at that.

I am from the USA. Many years teaching experience etc., etc.

Last edited by rioux on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 am; edited 4 times in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Country to go to that is as similar to China in the following areas which I enjoy about teaching at the university level in China.

Low hours: 12-16 a week.
Salary: $1300 a month.

Your criteria isn't very clear. By "similar to China," do you mean another country in Asia as well? Also, you don't mention cost of living and benefits. That could make those low teaching hours and so-so pay unrealistic unless you have other income.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any country where there is a need for NET's.
Don't care about the cost of living and benefits right now. I don't want to get bogged down in all the details.
The three above will do...at least for now.
papuadn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam has recently allocated more to increase its number of English proficient workers.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked in China also and am looking in Vietnam now.

They are usually calling for more like 20-25 hours (or even more) from what I've seen here, unless you maybe string together a few smaller jobs (visa might be an issue to doing that longer term).

Planning time feels all over the place from responses I've heard, but they may expect more "active" and "uninterrupted" style than China is my feeling. I can barely take a moment to peek at the plan without getting laughed at, honestly. But they will love it if you never stop for breath.

Also, I'm not sure if on a contract, you could expect a whole month off in winter here. Two weeks seems possible some places.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone going from Beijing or Shanghai to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City is going to notice a huge difference in development. Although China's per capita GDP is still quite low, its large cities are ultra-modern. Vietnam is literally a developing country. The OP doesn't say which part of China he or she lived in, but even so, I would not recommend this move unless you're happy to live in a dirt-poor country where the common means of transport is not the subway but the motorbike.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China's a massive country, have you considered a different region or is the whole country off your list? I appreciate your OP but it's just a thought, eliminating China, Korea and Japan really narrows your choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: