Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL of much value?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: MA TESOL of much value? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've just completed my MA TESOL, and am considering Thailand - among many other places.

Currently in Japan, and am enjoying the location/job, though I'm essentially doing an entry level job - not exactly exploiting the degree/several years experience.

Might there be any decent uni gigs - or other possibilities?

Thanks!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: MA TESOL of much value? Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Hi guys,

I've just completed my MA TESOL, and am considering Thailand - among many other places.

Currently in Japan, and am enjoying the location/job, though I'm essentially doing an entry level job - not exactly exploiting the degree/several years experience.

Might there be any decent uni gigs - or other possibilities?

Thanks!

Lots of uni jobs at 25k thb/month but at least they have "low class hours: (15-1Cool.
Entry level EFL runs 35-40k/month for 18-22 classes per week.

You'd be better off working for Westgate in Japan.

wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Singapore or China. Your MA TESOL should be able to earn £2500 a month plus.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His issue is the simple fact that while he has completed an MATESOL (online?) he does not have a bachelor degree to go with it and runs into problems with immigration at visa time since the BA is the requirement for a visa and the MA is not relevant for visa issuance in most countries.

Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t know how much truth there is to that last statement. The MA only route - from my research - is only a (possible) issue in Korea.

Granted, my research only includes Vietnam, China, Japan, Indonesia, and Korea (oh, and a few Middle East countries).

Are you sure that this is an issue in `most` countries? This hasn`t been the case - as mentioned - during my research.

From personal experience: I`ve just had to change the status of my visa here in Japan - which required a degree - and was able to do this with my MA.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The degree is blended - mix of online and in-class lectures. Someone from my program was offered a job in Saudi - where they don't allow online degrees - so I don't think it's an issue.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback, but I just don't know where "most countries" comes from.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm here: would anyone know where I stand regarding visas in Thailand and Singapore - wailing_imam : )
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the current regime, in Thailand, whether you can get a visa or not will depend on who is sitting at the desk at the education office on the day your paperwork lands on it.

Again, the requirement is a valid undergrad degree (with transcripts) that will need to be authenticated and presented to the TCT at the time of your teacher's license waiver application.

Can you get a non-b for the first 90 days = maybe yes provided the local education office accepts the MA and doesn't look for the BA when they issue the letter for visa issuance.
Can you get a work permit = anybody's guess. The TCT will probably balk at the missing undergrad (a licensure requirement encoded in law).
Without the work permit you won't be able to extend your visa (beyond the first 90 days) and stay legally working.

Can you get work = certainly yes but you will probably be using double entry tourist visas and doing regular border runs to stay in the country.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
The degree is blended - mix of online and in-class lectures. Someone from my program was offered a job in Saudi - where they don't allow online degrees - so I don't think it's an issue.

The governments of Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait also don't recognize degrees or certs that entailed online coursework, even if the qualification was partially completed online. Academic info gets scrutinized and verified with the visa applicant's university registrar and is a key factor in determining visa approval.

For Saudi Arabia, only one degree needs to be submitted for employment and visa purposes, but it must be the same degree. Therefore, those who have an online, TEFL-related MA, end up submitting another degree (usually an unrelated BA or MA) that was completed on campus when applying for positions. Unfortunately, an unrelated degree only gets them a job with one of the many for-profit contracting companies as opposed to the better employers that hire directly. So, yes, there are online MA TESOL holders teaching in KSA, but that degree wasn't used to get them the job.
hdeth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it causing some sort of issue in China, but maybe just a bunch of paperwork and running around rather than a deal-killer. I think they just wouldn't understand how you get an MA without a BA because they probably never saw it before (hell, first time I've heard of it) and make your school do a bunch of explaining and extra paperwork.

EDIT:
Though I haven't heard of any jobs paying 2500 pounds that are looking for an MA in TESOL/TEFL/whatever. Maybe if you had something else to go along with it like a teaching license.
MDSloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm in a similar situation as I have an MA but no BA. How did it go for you Sudz? did you get the visa or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: