Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Akhawayn in Ifrane, Morocco
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Al Akhawayn in Ifrane, Morocco Reply with quote

I'm looking for anyone who works here or has worked here.
www.aui.ma/

I would like to apply to work at Al Akhawayn University, but there never seem to be job openings for English teachers on their website. How can I get my foot in the door?

I have a BA in English, I will complete my MA in TESOL in May 2017, and I currently teach English to adult learners in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Is this enough for them to consider me?

Thanks for any advice anyone might have.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Al Akhawayn in Ifrane, Morocco Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
I have a BA in English, I will complete my MA in TESOL in May 2017, and I currently teach English to adult learners in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Is this enough for them to consider me?

Do a search on them; there are some old threads within this forum. In the past, they've recruited directly in the US (during TESOL Int'l's conference) and have placed ads on higheredjobs.com. According to their ad from five years ago:

Quote:
Qualifications: Native-like proficiency in English; MA in TESOL or closely related field; experience in teaching low intermediate- to advanced-level EFL / ESL classes in an academic or professional setting; dedication to excellence, teamwork, and professionalism; experience in testing, evaluation, and IT / CALL.

Application Materials:
- (a) a letter of application, (b) a curriculum vitae or resume, (c) a statement of teaching philosophy, (d) a list of professional references or three recent letters of recommendation.
- Additional materials, such as samples of research or instructional activity (e.g., articles, portfolios, teaching materials), is a plus.

I suspect they'll want to see post-MA TESOL tertiary experience since a master's is the minimum.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nomad Soul! This is some great info to get me started. It's good to know what sort of application package I need to prepare. I'll keep my eye on the higher ed jobs website, too. I'm familiar with the site, but I hadn't thought to check on there for Al Akhawayn. I would love to go to one of the recruitment fairs in the US, but I'm not there currently.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're currently advertising on IATEFL, available to view in the members forum. That access requires a paid subscription so I won't copy and paste the job ad here as I guess it would be against the terms of Dave's.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!! I appreciate it Kowloon.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Al Akhawayn in Ifrane, Morocco Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
I will complete my MA in TESOL in May 2017, and I currently teach English to adult learners in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

Just curious what uni your MA is from in AD? Not sure what weight it would carry outside the ME, or if it's online, etc. Cheers
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want an MA + some teaching experience. That said, it could be a decent initial experience leading to something more down the road. Don't expect much more than $3000 a month gross (in local currency) though. And taxes will take a chunk of it. You will have to interview in Glasgow if you are short-listed. Housing is also an unknown.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This university is my dream job. It's #1 on my list of all the places in the world I'd like to work, so if they offer me an interview I'll go wherever I need to go. I've heard nothing but good things about them. And small town life on a mountain in Morocco...? <3 Sign me up for that!

I'm doing my MA online from a university in the US. I have to go back home in April and take my exams in person, and then I'll be finished. I'm hoping they will accept this.

I teach English to adults right now, so I do have some experience, but I'm not sure if they will count it since it was before I finished my MA. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and applying anyway.

Wish me luck.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Housing for faculty is not included: http://www.aui.ma/en/housing/facultystaff/on-campus-housing/faculty-apartments.html
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
FYI: Housing for faculty is not included: http://www.aui.ma/en/housing/facultystaff/on-campus-housing/faculty-apartments.html

Thanks for this. That's good to know. It doesn't discourage me from the job Very Happy but if I get offered a job, I'll need to keep this in mind when I'm considering my finances and budgeting.
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Thanks for this. That's good to know. It doesn't discourage me from the job Very Happy but if I get offered a job, I'll need to keep this in mind when I'm considering my finances and budgeting.

With that attitude, you can't lose. Send us an update when you land the job.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wages are pretty low so don't expect 3000 USD. Housing is not included. The actual working conditions are nice, though.
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
AmericanAmina wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

With that attitude, you can't lose. Send us an update when you land the job.

Thank you Danshengou. Smile I hope I'll be able to do that!
AmericanAmina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I think wages are pretty low so don't expect 3000 USD. Housing is not included. The actual working conditions are nice, though.

Do you know what the salary range tends to be there? Thanks.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanAmina wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

Do you know what the salary range tends to be there? Thanks.

I don't know the range but 2000 USD with no accommodation would be a figure to throw at you. It really depends on your quals, age and experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: