Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kurdistan - changing situation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikalina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Kurdistan - changing situation Reply with quote

I thought the Kurds' referendum, as it was non-binding, would be just tolerated and then ignored, as per....

...but the Iraqi government have just ordered troops into Kirkuk and Turkish and Iraqi forces are running joint military exercises on the Turkish border.

A lot of what is called Iraqi forces are Shi'ite militia and, of course, the majority of Kurds are Sunni.......

I don't think the area of Kurdistan (except perhaps Suli) will be safe now...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a war zone. Do not go there.
Fareastbelfast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Kurdistan right now. I think we are generally more concerned about being trapped here rather than direct military action.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Trapped' might be apt. Based in eastern Kurdistan since late Aug though with the referendum and the death of the ex-Iraqi president Talibani (a Kurd) classes have not started yet - basically a 2-month holiday on full pay.

We can leave Kurdistan on a domestic flight to Baghdad but there would be insuperable problems returning to Baghdad to Kurdistan due to visa issues.

As for Kurdistan being a 'war zone' - somewhat disproportionate remark to say the least.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the elephants fight, it is the grass which suffers.

Perspectives from relative security of Suli are going to be different from those further north or west of Erbil.
Fareastbelfast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
'Trapped' might be apt. Based in eastern Kurdistan since late Aug though with the referendum and the death of the ex-Iraqi president Talibani (a Kurd) classes have not started yet - basically a 2-month holiday on full pay.

We can leave Kurdistan on a domestic flight to Baghdad but there would be insuperable problems returning to Baghdad to Kurdistan due to visa issues.

As for Kurdistan being a 'war zone' - somewhat disproportionate remark to say the least.

Lucky you. We were teaching like zombies last Thursday after a sleepless night of gunfire celebrating imaginary victories.
cartago

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about a fee for the airport in Baghdad. I heard they were waving the visa requirement to transfer - many countries don't require a visa just for an airport transfer anyway - but two travel agencies informed me the Baghdad airport is charging a 500,000 IQD fee for transfer through Baghdad.

So if that's true they're basically extorting money from people trying to leave. I mean I realize they're over-extended with too many flights but that's ridiculous.

I asked the US embassy and they didn't know but heard people might be charged between 100,000 to 500,000 depending on length of stay in Kurdistan. I asked my employer who seemed entirely unconcerned and basically said you figure it out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
I asked the US embassy and they didn't know but heard people might be charged between 100,000 to 500,000 depending on length of stay in Kurdistan. I asked my employer who seemed entirely unconcerned and basically said you figure it out.

Unfortunately, these types of pricy fees aren't unusual in countries with unstable governments and/or economies. (Some of us remember the Arab Spring.) Given the bad blood between the Iraqi central government in Baghdad and the KRG, the high cost to transfer through Baghdad from Kurdistan shouldn't be a surprise. (See Iraq halts international flights to Kurdistan Region.) Anyway, it's your responsibility to pay unless explicitly covered by your employer per your contract.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you all get out safely!
cartago

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
cartago wrote:

Unfortunately, these types of pricy fees aren't unusual in countries with unstable governments and/or economies. (Some of us remember the Arab Spring.) Given the bad blood between the Iraqi central government in Baghdad and the KRG, the high cost to transfer through Baghdad from Kurdistan shouldn't be a surprise. (See Iraq halts international flights to Kurdistan Region.) Anyway, it's your responsibility to pay unless explicitly covered by your employer per your contract.

I work in the news media and am well aware of the current situation here as far as the halt to international flights, as everyone here is. No one, including the embassy seems to be aware of transfer costs. Anyway, thanks for the input, I guess I should say.

Last edited by cartago on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
cartago

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I hope that you all get out safely!

I honestly don't feel unsafe here but was wanting to leave for awhile for personal reasons. However I think I'm going to take another position while actually may be better than my current one so maybe this will work out, hope so. It's an interesting time anyway.
Fareastbelfast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that there may well be a $420 charge on the basis that the Iraqis don't recognise our Kurdish iqamas. That is to say that we would be considered illegals. And, no it isn't our personal responsibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: