Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where To After the Middle East ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Where To After the Middle East ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

As much as teaching in Middle East is a daily pleasure filled with fun, laughter and opportunities for cultural enrichment, at some point many people leave the Magic Kingdom to go somewhere else and teach. At some point I will be leaving this enchanted place for good, and I was wondering where to look for the following few years.

I have some criteria which I imagine reflects those others have had / will have, so this thread could be useful for others who are in a similar position.

A clean environment - although I don't want a sterile environment
Warm weather - a plus, but not essential
Salary - not important, I could not save a penny for a few years and still be on plan in my budget
Not a sex industry city - Chiang Mai would be okay, Pattaya not
Not the Philippines or Korea - not a fan of the food
Nice local people, not too many tourists

Thanks!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult. I resolved the dilemma by staying in KSA until the age of 64. I then retired to a windswept island off the West Coast of Scotland. Here I am on Ultima Thule !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds glorious Scot. If I had a family to look after I'd most likely stay where the money and lack of temptation is, as it is neither are high on my list of needs right now.
bograt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was in your shoes I'd want to get as far away as possible from any place that had anything to do with Islam, but judging from your intro (unless it was ironic) I'm not so sure. If money and wife/kids weren't important, I'd move somewhere where I could see my other family members more often.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Turkey might fit that bill for most of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
If I was in your shoes I'd want to get as far away as possible from any place that had anything to do with Islam, but judging from your intro (unless it was ironic) I'm not so sure. If money and wife/kids weren't important, I'd move somewhere where I could see my other family members more often.

I couldn't think of anything more sarcastic than the words I wrote. Jeez. Rolling Eyes

I'm not bothered by religion, it's the zealots in charge of societies I dislike. My relatives are a Skype or flight away, and that wasn't in my list of wants, in fact I've already talked about that in my reply to Scot.

dragonpiwo, Turkey is a bit unstable for my liking but thanks as I hadn't even considered it before.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico... Somewhere in Central America... South America

But really, you should be able to figure out where you could/want to go. Given your criteria, it's just like picking a vacation spot.
bograt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I couldn't think of anything more sarcastic than the words I wrote. Jeez. Rolling Eyes
[quote]

I'd have thought so too normally but if you read the ME boards there are plenty of people saying stuff like that with a straight face. There was one guy saying he was going to miss the call to prayer when he left.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Mexico... Somewhere in Central America... South America

But really, you should be able to figure out where you could/want to go. Given your criteria, it's just like picking a vacation spot.

Thanks Nomad, but when on holiday I have a fixed date for the return ticket. I was looking for someone to say "I worked in XXXX and it was great, but the salary was lousy/not enough to live on." When I eventually leave this area, it could be several years hence, I want to go somewhere to decompress for a year/two but keep my teaching chops. My thoughts are limited to places I've spent more than a week in so know well enough; Barca, Lisbon, Palermo, Hanoi.

bograt wrote:
I'd have thought so too normally but if you read the ME boards there are plenty of people saying stuff like that with a straight face.

Fair enough, sarcasm doesn't transmit well in print.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
Thanks Nomad, but when on holiday I have a fixed date for the return ticket. I was looking for someone to say "I worked in XXXX and it was great, but the salary was lousy/not enough to live on." When I eventually leave this area, it could be several years hence, I want to go somewhere to decompress for a year/two but keep my teaching chops.

I meant that your criteria (a clean environment, warm weather, salary - not important, not a sex industry city, not the Philippines or Korea due to the food, nice local people, not too many tourists...) is more like someone choosing a vacation spot rather than a destination for long-term work. Plus, you downplayed salary and never mentioned the type of teaching situation you're interested in. Regardless, the suggestions I gave offer valid, doable EFL teaching spots that fit your wish list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I meant that your criteria (a clean environment, warm weather, salary - not important, not a sex industry city, not the Philippines or Korea due to the food, nice local people, not too many tourists...) is more like someone choosing a vacation spot rather than a destination for long-term work. Plus, you downplayed salary and never mentioned the type of teaching situation you're interested in. Regardless, the suggestions I gave offer valid, doable EFL teaching spots that fit your wish list.

I see, maybe I'm not thinking widely enough yet. It's a change of tack, as before choosing a gig it has been the school/uni first, apartment second, environment last. If I have a good job and apartment I could be in Siberia in the depths of winter and not mind (I was offered a job there, but the free balalaika lessons were outweighed by the nice, tax-free salary in Khobar). I've not been to south/central America and assumed it was flooded with Americans, just as Europe is with Brits and Irish. Thanks, though, I'll stick them on the radar. Brazil would be amazing but the violence there is terrible right now, although it could be better in the future.

Type of teaching situation? Hmm, I'm not looking for Business, Adult, ESP, PYP or anything in particular. Definitely not kinder although I've never taught that age group anyway, I suppose teaching BizEng I could travel from company to company, totally outside of the classroom but still teaching. I saw a projector on sale the other day that could easily fit in a day bag, which could show PPTs and also double as a markerboard with some techie magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: