Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching jobs after 3 years in China-- work permit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spatula City

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Switching jobs after 3 years in China-- work permit Reply with quote

I know, I know... it's another work visa thread.

I have been working in China since 2015 and am currently on my third contract. I am planning to get a new job starting next year in September, in a different province.

I haven't needed to get my degree notarized or produce another criminal check over the 3 years, but I believe that that's because I have stayed in this province. I haven't gotten my degree notarized at all-- I came here when they first introduced that policy and nobody has asked me to do it.

One of my coworkers told me that because I have been working in China, to transfer the visa I can just get a Chinese police check as well as getting my degree notarized here, sparing me a trip back home.

Of course, everything I have read elsewhere only talks about people going back to their home countries to get it done at Chinese embassies and consulates, and ordering police checks from abroad.

Does anyone DEFINITELY know what I need to do to change to a job in another province after 3 years in China? Can I really just get everything done here like my coworker says?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which province are you in now and where are you going?
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Switching jobs after 3 years in China-- work permit Reply with quote

Spatula City wrote:
I know, I know... it's another work visa thread.

I have been working in China since 2015 and am currently on my third contract. I am planning to get a new job starting next year in September, in a different province.

I haven't needed to get my degree notarized or produce another criminal check over the 3 years, but I believe that that's because I have stayed in this province. I haven't gotten my degree notarized at all-- I came here when they first introduced that policy and nobody has asked me to do it.

One of my coworkers told me that because I have been working in China, to transfer the visa I can just get a Chinese police check as well as getting my degree notarized here, sparing me a trip back home.

Of course, everything I have read elsewhere only talks about people going back to their home countries to get it done at Chinese embassies and consulates, and ordering police checks from abroad.

Does anyone DEFINITELY know what I need to do to change to a job in another province after 3 years in China? Can I really just get everything done here like my coworker says?

Nobody will know that.

China doesn't work that way. It's disorganized chaos, what works for one person may not work for another.

That said, here is my guess.... 1) You'll have to have the degree notaraized at home, not within China. Whether you post it or go yourself is up to you. 2) The supposed rule is if you have lived in China for the past 2 years, a local police check will do, however not everyone is aware of this and not all places accept this. Chances are you'll have to get one done from your home country.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only tell you my experience hiring a teacher for March.
Teacher is currently in another province in China and has a valid Z visa. Local FEB says that if he has his criminal record check and degree notarized and authenticated they will transfer his work visa to a new school. No need to leave China if you have the right documents so even if you are in China you can have the documents processed in your home country and sent to you here.
There are service companies that will do the legwork; Google "Visa Services".
hz88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo that. I am just dealing with two similar instances, one who is in a different province with a former FEC book (has not been issued a work permit card yet) and one who has a work permit card also in a different province.

For the first case, the degree and criminal record check need to be authenticated and have the stamp on them. He has sent his back to England for this process. As long as they arrive one month before his current RP expires, we can transfer everything. Failing that, he needs to return home. The latter, everything is already in the system and all we needed was for the existing sponsor to cancel the current WP card and send us the document. The WP card number remains the same now and the system locates the information from it. It was already attached to the file when we took it over.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum.
If you do need to go through the process for a new Z visa you can do it in Korea or Japan, anywhere outside China. You don't always have to return home, technically you only have to leave China. The invitation letter will say "Apply to the Chinese embassy/consulate in (whatever country). Tell the FAO to submit your paperwork with a convenient country noted.
Another teacher we're hiring is an American getting his visa at the consulate in Pakistan.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no invitation letter, only a work permit. It stated no country to apply in either. That and my passport were all I needed to get my Z visa in HK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: