Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post MA TESOL qualification suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The trouble is PGCE make teaching children 99% of the time. Great if you enjoy that, but it's not for everyone.

Also, for the better paying jobs, schools would ask for two years’ experience post-PGCE in UK schools, so you’d be looking at least a three-year commitment. This was the case back in 2005 when I did my PGCE, but, of course, things might have changed…
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil79 wrote:
Quote:
The trouble is PGCE make teaching children 99% of the time. Great if you enjoy that, but it's not for everyone.

Also, for the better paying jobs, schools would ask for two years’ experience post-PGCE in UK schools, so you’d be looking at least a three-year commitment. This was the case back in 2005 when I did my PGCE, but, of course, things might have changed…

Agreed. You may get in at a lower tier school but this is usually the case for the higher paying jobs.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bear wrote:

Uh huh. Also there are the hours. I'm working far longer now than I ever did at any of my previous university gigs. To be honest, these extra hours often don't have much to do with the actual teaching and mainly involve completing documentation to keep management happy and off your back. Also there are meetings ad nauseam. These are some of the major negatives that I've found so far.

On the plus side, the pay, conditions and holidays are good. Swings and roundabouts.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously considering doing the ICAO Level 4 certificate in Aviation English offered by Mayflower College. An employer which recently advertised on tesol.org listed it as a requirement for a gig in Afghanistan.
WanderMan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
I am in this boat as well. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of my M.A. in TESOL and I am really glad that I got it. It will continue to serve me well and help me continue to get viable work that pays well.

twowheel

Do you have a U.S. Teaching license? I'm considering getting a Master's of some kind from an European University because it would be free for me, but I've been warned a Master's without a license is not very useful. Has that been your experience?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
The bear wrote:

Uh huh. Also there are the hours.

Depends what you consider children. I got my PGCE while working at a university. I have now moved to working at a high school. The majority of the students in the high school act like adults and the minority act like children. This is the opposite of my former uni job.

I have the same level of contact hours, actually, less because class periods are shorter. I added a few extra hours for office hours and entering weekly grades. I am expected to be on campus, but often return home to do the grades because the internet can be very slow on campus at times.

It is not a true international school though, it is the international department of a local high school. The pay is about the same though.
yurii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
The bear wrote:

Uh huh. Also there are the hours.

Depends what you consider children. I got my PGCE while working at a university. I have now moved to working at a high school. The majority of the students in the high school act like adults and the minority act like children. This is the opposite of my former uni job.

I have the same level of contact hours, actually, less because class periods are shorter. I added a few extra hours for office hours and entering weekly grades. I am expected to be on campus, but often return home to do the grades because the internet can be very slow on campus at times.

It is not a true international school though, it is the international department of a local high school. The pay is about the same though.

I guess it depends on several things and like you say depends what you consider children. I'm in a similar school to you (local school but I work in an international department there). I only teach 10-15 year olds so we naturally can't compare say 10/11 year olds with 20 year old uni students. Dealing with pre-teen kids is so different to uni students whereas as you mention if you have mature high school students they might not be so different to some uni students. So, as the Bear says not everyone wants to teach children. I like mine but they can get really irritating!

Quote:

I worked in a uni before and my school job definitely is much much busier:

-Open days
-Parent teacher meetings on Saturdays
-Individual meetings with parents if there are any problems which can end up lasting an hour each.
-3 meetings per school year on each grammar class I take with other subject teachers (so depending on how many grammar classes x 3). This is extremely boring talking about student grades/effort for 90 minutes.
-Other team meetings
-Pedagogical days - Can be boring and extremely useless and can last almost the whole day.
-Writing reports on students 3 times a year, not just entering grades.

So it can get a bit much to have to do and remember all of this, though I guess my holidays make up for this. And, on the plus side when I don't have classes I can go home. No 'office hours' so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: