Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post MA TESOL qualification suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodEnglishes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Post MA TESOL qualification suggestions? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I have an MA TESOL and six years of diverse teaching experience, one of which was post MA TESOL at a university ELP.

I am curious to know for myself and for others in the field I may someday mentor what the full range of post MATESOL qualifications I could consider might be. I've met a couple of colleagues pursuing Deltas and a couple of course pursuing PhDs (any ideas on how to continue toward this path online in an affordable way?), but I know there must be WAY more opportunities you all out there are exploring or have explored or know people who have.

Let's make a solid list together!
goodEnglishes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: First ideas Reply with quote

Here's some good advice I just stumbled upon here on the General Forum to begin answering my question:

Speaking for most of east / SE Asia....
For the long term... professional teacher (PGCE) in upper high school is a good option. It can also lead into school administration as an even longer term option (related MA/M.Ed required). This is a very viable long term option and will last into your 60's with decent paying options.

An on-line MA won't really get you into academia other than as a short time lecturer. Academics / academia are "traditional" and academic snobbery is alive and well. If you want to get into the tertiary sector then a decent MA / M.Ed with a full thesis and published research is the way to go. A PhD is likely required in this future.

There is no shortage of work for those with graduate level credentials and willingness to hop around the in the Asia region. (eg: I regularly speak at regional and international conferences in this region - Kota Kinebalu, Penang, Bangkok, Seoul, HCMC and Vladivostok in the last 15 months.) Great part time work and works well with my position in school administration.

Programs might include: MA/M.Ed TEFL/TESOL/EIL, MA curriculum development, MA Applied lingustics, M.Ed in any education field (become a teacher of teachers - I teach ELT management courses at one of the better known universities in Bangkok as a part time position.)
A decent MBA works wonders in Asia. There are lots of non TEFL / teaching related opportunities for someone with Asian experience.

I guess what I am trying to say is to look at YOUR aptitudes and work from there. Pick the job then find the qualification you need rather than get some qualification and hope it will lead somewhere.

twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in this boat as well. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of my M.A. in TESOL and I am really glad that I got it. It will continue to serve me well and help me continue to get viable work that pays well. However, lately I have been thinking about additional credentials as well: Delta? online EdD? Both? I will think about it for the next year and talk to more people about this.

I have even considered MBA programs as well.

twowheel
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A doctorate will not get you better jobs. Stick with what you have. Get on with the teaching and getting those monthly paycheques. THAT is what the game is about., not having fancy diplomas that you can frame and hang on your office wall
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
A doctorate will not get you better jobs. Stick with what you have. Get on with the teaching and getting those monthly paycheques. THAT is what the game is about., not having fancy diplomas that you can frame and hang on your office wall

I don't disagree. I have paid off my loans from that M.A. as well as all of my other debts. It is a sweet feeling to be debt-free and I really don't want to go back into debt. I could pay for another degree with the money that I have earned, but I do agree with the above sentiment; just get on with the teaching and save, save, save.

As I have mentioned, my M.A. continues to serve me well and get me better and better work as time goes on (coupled with the work experience that it has brought me). I am not sure I really need a doctorate at this point. Every now and then (such as now) I revisit my situation and future work prospects and just calculate where I am and where I want to be and what I may need to get there.

twowheel
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an MATESOL with Asian experience and a decent research proposal you can get into a decent PhD program at places like Chinese University of Hong Kong. These are often fully funded with a 20k HKD stipend to go with it.

A couple of TOP universities in Singapore offer similar packages. Talk to them.

Again it boils down to, "What do you want to do next?"

Pick a job then get the credentials you need rather than get some expensive wallpaper and hope for a better job.

twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
As an MATESOL with Asian experience and a decent research proposal you can get into a decent PhD program at places like Chinese University of Hong Kong. These are often fully funded with a 20k HKD stipend to go with it.

I have seen their announcements and have been intrigued. It has crossed my mind. A good friend of mine who is a professor in Beijing did her doctorate there.

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency near University Station and the CUHK campus for New Year's 2016. We went for a walk through the campus and enjoyed it.

twowheel
goodEnglishes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Ideas Reply with quote

Getting an MBA is something I have considered in part to land high paying Business English positions. Getting a fully funded PhD in China or Singapore is not something I have considered because I wasn't aware of the fully funded part! Great ideas so far... keep them coming!

(By the way, I am banking on my company paying $10,000 usd toward my next diploma, degree, certificate, etc. I'm researching opportunities right now assuming this is true as well as that they would pay for any qualification I choose, even an MBA)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodEnglishes wrote:
Getting an MBA is something I have considered in part to land high paying Business English positions.

High paying? Have you seen actual salaries for teaching BE, or are you just assuming that's the case?

Plus, MBA holders (with related and recent post-degree business experience) would more likely teach business and not BE. For example, per a recent job ad for a top university in Asia:

Quote:
The Business School sees new opportunities for its executive degree programmes to groom the next generation of executives who can bring and sustain competitive advantages of enterprises regionally and globally.

Applicants should preferably have (i) a higher degree in any business or other related discipline; (ii) strong track record in teaching reputable executive degree programmes; and (iii) good connection with the professional community, an international outlook, outstanding communication and networking skills, a long-term vision as well as strong commitment for executive education. Familiarity with the region is an advantage.

nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a PGCE. Opened up the doors for me.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I would recommend a PGCE. Opened up the doors for me.

+1

That's a good tip. Many thanks. Indeed, something to look into.

twowheel
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costs less, takes only 1 year and the pay at the end of it is usually better than a PhD working in a Uni.

The bear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is PGCE make teaching children 99% of the time. Great if you enjoy that, but it's not for everyone.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I tell everyone to look at what they want to do FIRST then get the qualifications to achieve that goal rather than attain some qualification and hope it will lead to something better.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at a high school, and from my experience there is not much difference between these students and uni students. Well, the high school students do try harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: