Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoid King Saud First Year Common
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: top ranked university Reply with quote

The shocking state of affairs described here is even more incredible when you consider the institution's ranking. It is ranked 1st or 2nd in the Kingdom!

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2017.html
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
The shocking state of affairs described here is even more incredible when you consider the institution's ranking. It is ranked 1st or 2nd in the Kingdom!

Seriously, no one on this forum (including you) is a professor teaching academic coursework in a bachelor's or master's degree program in Saudi Arabia. English language PY programs are freshman-level, introductory courses and have no bearing on the quality of a university's academic degree programs. No comparison.

KSU has contracted with sketchy, for-profit middlemen for years to facilitate the English PYP and staff it with foreigners (some with so-so qualifications).
hash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following comments are based on my own teaching experiences in KSA and may not reflect all programs:

1- Most uni PY programs are actually PRE-FRESHMAN programs. The courses offered (not just English) are usually NON-CREDIT courses. Upon completion of the program, a student then enters the uni properly as an undergraduate Freshman.

2- In some cases, the study of English continues at the undergraduate level. According to my most recent information, for example, KFUPM requires all students to take 3 for-credit semester-long English courses before they can graduate. These courses are no longer of the ESL/EFL type. They are basically EAP/Writing courses including essays, written reports, oral presentations and so on. Teachers here are not included in the “professorial ranks”, but their schedules are vastly different from what your typical PYP teacher follows.

3- Any institution, but particularly any uni, resorting to “sketchy, for-profit middlemen” as a means of procuring its academic staffing for its PY programs, is simply reflecting its own aversion and antipathy towards its PY programs and teachers. There’s just no getting away from what this statement says and means.

Basically, it means that the institution does not take the PY program seriously AND WANTS TO HAVE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE TO DO WITH THE PROGRAM AND ITS TEACHERS. New teachers are quickly made aware of this and the basis for an antagonistic relationship is established early on.

This scenario beautifully exemplifies my oft repeated and equally oft ignored axiom regarding “ESL” teaching in KSA country-wide (but it’s really Gulf-wide). The vast majority of employers from the severe Vinnell to the lofty KFUPM, in their heart of hearts, wish their “English programs” would simply vanish into thin air for good leaving behind nary a trace.

scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is certainly a deal of truth in that last post. Having said that, I enjoyed my time at KFUPM until the time the programme was taken over by a Canadian who introduced his mad plan of "Modules". That led to my sidestep to Hafr Al Batin Community College where I spent my last 2 years in EFL and my last 2 years in the Kingdom.

Alhamduliallah, I am now out of the game and enjoying a genteel retirement on "The Madeira of the Clyde".
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reputation and ranking Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
AbeCross wrote:

Seriously, no one on this forum (including you) is a professor teaching academic coursework in a bachelor's or master's degree program in Saudi Arabia. English language PY programs are freshman-level, introductory courses and have no bearing on the quality of a university's academic degree programs. No comparison.

KSU has contracted with sketchy, for-profit middlemen for years to facilitate the English PYP and staff it with foreigners (some with so-so qualifications).

How is the PYP program totally unrelated to the academic programs? Do not the majority-or nearly all-of the PYP participants enter the degree programs after one year? How would such a poorly-run PYP program NOT adversely affect the quality and reputation of the entire university?
KFUPM, also ranked in the top five in the Kingdom, seems to run a relatively successful PYP program. Its graduates have generally scored very well on our institution's placement tests.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rapid expansion in numbers admitted has led to problems. Many new entrants are accustomed to an educational system where they are passed automatically. When they are presented with the challenge of having to learn something and prove that they have learned it in tests and exams, they have problems.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
AbeCross wrote:

How is the PYP program totally unrelated to the academic programs? Do not the majority-or nearly all-of the PYP participants enter the degree programs after one year? How would such a poorly-run PYP program NOT adversely affect the quality and reputation of the entire university?
KFUPM, also ranked in the top five in the Kingdom, seems to run a relatively successful PYP program. Its graduates have generally scored very well on our institution's placement tests.

For starters, English language proficiency wasn't indicated in the criteria for that university ranking report. Also, I never stated that the PY programs are "totally unrelated to the academic programs." They don't impact the overall quality of the degree programs. Some EFL students are still able to succeed even in a poorly run PYP program.

Not every freshie entering a Saudi university or college gets enrolled in an English PYP. Some are exempt from the program because they scored well on the IELTS or TOEFL, while others choose to attend private language schools to boost their English. Moreover, not every university degree program requires English language skills; incoming students whose major is taught in Arabic aren't likely to attend a PYP.
Betrayer of Hope

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the OP was relieved of his/her duties?
R_totale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betrayer of Hope wrote:
I take it the OP was relieved of his/her duties?

Do you mean before or after leaving the comment?

Actually I'm still there, although only because there are only a few months left and being on an iquama its not easy to move jobs.

I understand King Saud management have started an investigation to find out who left the comment though! so I could be on borrowed time...
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hussan is gone and QEC is there now. Offering returning teachers 8,500 and newbs 9,000.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Al Hussan teachers have been told that they will pay full costs for visas, including flights.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is "they"? The university or the teachers or the contractor?

If it is the teachers, it is a major screw job... crappy pay and few benefits.

VS
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Who is "they"? The university or the teachers or the contractor?

If it is the teachers, it is a major screw job... crappy pay and few benefits.

VS

Former Al Hussan teachers have accepted the offer.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEAT is being phased out. ICEAT owes many teachers final settlement and wants them to wait until after Eid for payment.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EduGuide is now recruiting for KSU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: