Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good online TEFL courses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLJosh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Good online TEFL courses? Reply with quote

I know, a lot of people will say "you don't need it' and 'it's not that helpful', but I would like to take a course that way I have some knowledge of what to do and I have certification.

Which online TEFL course is actually good? Many of them make bold claims and their 'reviews' are all from people that make money from affiliate marketing.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "good" one? Probably the one that's good for your budget.

Online TEFL certs are not widely accepted. Something to keep in mind when you're competing for jobs and/or applying for a work visa.

That said, you don't mention where you expect to teach. What do the job ads for your target areas/countries indicate in regard to TEFL qualifications?
STLJosh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting to teach in Taiwan. Most jobs want someone who is a native English speaker with a Bachelor's Degree, so I'm good there. Many says 'TEFL or TESOL certification preferred' or something akin to that. It isn't a requirement for the visa (from what I've seen' but schools in Taiwan are increasingly looking for it (so I'm told).

P.S: I also have a substitute teacher certification from the state of Missouri, apparently that's recognized in Taiwan
Marinx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll hear they don't generally accept online TEFLs. You'll hear as long as you have a white face you're good to go.

Every employer has their "wishlist". So maybe they don't generally accept online TEFL's, but you have a white face and the right passport and meet all the other requirements. I'm not speaking in terms of "in every situation this is THE WAY", but generally speaking. I'm not in the country yet but aware that a lot of things in China "just depends".

In my opinion as an absolute novice to teaching, find a TEFL that goes through: grammar, phonology, methodology, and lesson planning; a practicum component would be good also. I did mine through OnTesol but its expensive. There's probably cheaper and just as good out there.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used i-to-i and found it interesting enough at the time. It will at least get you thinking about what you are letting yourself in for, lesson planning and classroom management. It was cheap and I got through the 120hr one quickly.
I've come across terrible teachers who possess a CELTA and better quals and great teachers that have no cert but years of experience.
It's handy to have one for countries/schools where it is a tick box exercise for work permits anyway.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to do a proper face-to-face course. Sharing ideas in class and getting feedback directly from your course tutors about your teaching is important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: