Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay expectations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslteacher2014

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Pay expectations Reply with quote

Hi

I have a M.A and 5 plus years of teaching. How much should one get paid if working with ADEC or MOE ? Is 25,000 aed to high?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: 25,000 aed Reply with quote

25,000 AED a month seems very high. Those jobs are gone, unless you get a job that does not provide housing. Then you can skim 10,000 AED off and be thankful for 15,000 AED take home. Skim off another 10% for the 5% VAT that gets into every nook and cranny.

The UAE does this nice little trick. They ask for your current salary, so there tends to be a wild range. People with the same qualifications might get different salary offers, solely based on current salary. We are talking 1/3 less than what others had been offered.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pay expectations Reply with quote

eslteacher2014 wrote:
I have a M.A and 5 plus years of teaching. How much should one get paid if working with ADEC or MOE ? Is 25,000 aed to high?

Possibly attainable if you hold a k12 teaching license/cert and experience in your subject. Regardless, you really need to apply to find out what your quals are worth.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: K-12 Reply with quote

K-12 in STEM with excellent references would probably get you further than TESOL or English.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm still in the UAE. It's a really nice place. My salary is just shy of 30 all in. My 1-bed flat costs me 8k a month including bills. I have almost zero food costs. I could live on the camp for free and just do Ad at weekends but I don't. I'm married but don't have any kids here. I have friends who work for ADEC. They get a housing allowance but much lower salary. They also got a settling in type allowance. I don't think my ADEC friends get to keep the change from the housing allowance. It seems pay and conditions are not as good as they were across the board. There are now contractors working in the desert for less than 13k all in. I don't expect to be employed for much longer. Loads of people want to work for ADEC with way more experience than that, so be careful what you ask for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: