Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brand new - out of the box teacher heading to Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relatively new here, but my impression is that unless you're a young attractive female, getting a single job with sufficient hours can be a tough proposition. This guy may be leaving a nice stable job to be motoing over an hour to get the equivalent of 16 bucks an hour for 1 1/2 hours of teaching, and then be off to the next job, wherever that is.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm relatively new here, but my impression is that unless you're a young attractive female, getting a single job with sufficient hours can be a tough proposition. This guy may be leaving a nice stable job to be motoing over an hour to get the equivalent of 16 bucks an hour for 1 1/2 hours of teaching, and then be off to the next job, wherever that is.

This is good info that people coming to teach in VN need to know. Other than a few DOS/Head teacher positions, schools don't have much to offer. You need to network like crazy to continually try to find some new and better gigs and travel all over the place in rush hour traffic sometimes. The Rainy Season will start soon. That's when the real fun begins. Peak hiring time is coming up too though, so teachers will at least be getting more hours.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There've been some very weird answers so far on the pets issue. Vietnam's a country of almost 100 million people, and among those are many, many animal lovers and pet owners.

If you're going to the south, Dr Nghia at the Saigon Pet Veterinary Hospital is your friend -- they do a comprehensive relocation service. Their website is down at the moment, but they're on Facebook.
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Quote:

This is good info that people coming to teach in VN need to know. Other than a few DOS/Head teacher positions, schools don't have much to offer. You need to network like crazy to continually try to find some new and better gigs and travel all over the place in rush hour traffic sometimes. The Rainy Season will start soon. That's when the real fun begins. Peak hiring time is coming up too though, so teachers will at least be getting more hours.

I think this is the truth. Very recently I considered returning to Vietnam. A couple of well-respected schools who focus on academic English were interested in me, but they were not offering a full-time contract. It seems the newbies are stuck with jobs that have a low salary (below $2,000) and it’s only the higher-level AC/DoS jobs that are worth considering for teachers with the right quals and experience. To get these positions, one would probably already have to be working for the schools in question. My honest opinion is Vietnam is joining or has already joined the growing list of countries that are off the list for teachers that want a decent salary. If you want to race around town in massive heat and humidity and a rainy season, enjoy your stay in Vietnam. I’ll be visiting as a tourist, but not to work again. Things are only getting worse with vlogs such as Ninja teacher and other folk who have led to the flooded market of punters wanting a piece of Vietnam.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are jobs that are $2000+. I should know given that I have one of them, but yeah, I would agree that prices are getting higher and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to commute around in the middle of the day, especially if they're at the mercy of their xe om. I'm rather blessed that my job pretty much has me in A/C at any given point.
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
There are jobs that are $2000+. I should know given that I have one of them, but yeah, I would agree that prices are getting higher and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to commute around in the middle of the day, especially if they're at the mercy of their xe om. I'm rather blessed that my job pretty much has me in A/C at any given point.

I'm sure there are salaried jobs on $2000+ but still, I think that is a pretty low wage after tax, rent and living expenses. I'd hope paid holidays would be included as well.

May I ask where you work? Did you get that job whilst living in Vietnam? PM me if you want to remain anonymous.

Anyone willing to say that full-time $2500+ jobs are pretty hard to get from abroad? I realize that all sorts of opportunities arise whilst living in the country and that language mills give great opportunites to people who have a CELTA and 2-3 years in the same job.
SimonW1986

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it has peaked yet in terms of jobs. My advice is always if you are doing it for the money then try to move to towns which have a big industrial boom on the outskirts of the bigger cities and stay away from HCMC and HN as well as beach towns or anywhere pretty as they are saturated with people.

If it's not about money and you don't have expensive habits you'll be ok. To avoid rushing around in the heat you'll have to work for a big language chain such as ILA, VUS, Apollo. They are not great but cutting your teeth you can earn a full time wage contrary to what many say. They usually want a degree though.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
language mills give great opportunites to people who have a CELTA and 2-3 years in the same job.

With due respect I see it differently.

The language mills have stagnant and declining wages and lots of applicants are applying for a position when ones becomes available in Hanoi.

Every day lots of teachers post ads stating "I'm looking for fill my schedule."

"I'm wanting to fill in the time slots of say, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings or afternoon or evenings.

Lots of people doing piece work at Language Mill X or Y but try to get more hours around town.

There has been an influx recently from one particular country (although VN has been 'discovered' by folks from all over the world) to come and have the VN experience using EFL as the vehicle.

There is more ageism as well, IMO. If you look over 45 I would do something to look "younger" if it can be done.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:
kurtz wrote:
language mills give great opportunites to people who have a CELTA and 2-3 years in the same job.

With due respect I see it differently.

The language mills have stagnant and declining wages and lots of applicants are applying for a position when ones becomes available in Hanoi.

Every day lots of teachers post ads stating "I'm looking for fill my schedule."

"I'm wanting to fill in the time slots of say, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings or afternoon or evenings.

Lots of people doing piece work at Language Mill X or Y but try to get more hours around town.

There has been an influx recently from one particular country (although VN has been 'discovered' by folks from all over the world) to come and have the VN experience using EFL as the vehicle.

There is more ageism as well, IMO. If you look over 45 I would do something to look "younger" if it can be done.

I don’t doubt that is true, but from my past experience, all sorts of opportunities arose such as in HR with only 2-3 years at the same mill with a CELTA.

I had interviews lined up with RMIT and ACET, but they were both for hourly rates. To put it bluntly, F that! I managed to find something in another country on a FT basis with the missus who is in Development.

Bottom line, Vietnam sucks! Seriously! It’s getting pricey there. I just came back from a holiday from there and it’s not dirt cheap. I want to save some coin; not “experience the far East”.

There are always one or two peoples who pop on forums and say they’re on a good gig, and good luck to them if it’s true, but I ain’t relocating with a wife to be on part-time with financial commitments like a mortgage.

Think outside of the square if you want good EFL wages; they aren’t to be found in Vietnam unless you’re connected and get sweet gigs like the British University Vietnam.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes brand new out of the box teachers are everywhere to be found in Vietnam these days...the new land of EFL opportunity in SE Asia. Recently a friend of mine who is a British director of a language school in Hanoi received 6,000 resume responses for an advert for a full time EFL teacher....and the pay was average around $20/hour for a 22 hour teaching week!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: