Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equivalency Process for Masters Degree / Distance Learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burgess29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Equivalency Process for Masters Degree / Distance Learning Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Has anyone needed to gain equivalency for their MA at the behest of their employer?

If so, would be interested to know if anyone managed to gain equivalency if their MA degree was achieved via distance learning. Apparently, the Ministry of Higher Education rejects equivalency applications for applicants holding MA degrees gained via distance learning. Interestingly, they do approve MA's gained 'online' or via 'blended learning'. Of course, MA's gained full time and on campus are easily approved for equivalency. I ask because my application was rejected since my MA was gained via distance learning.

However, I know people working in the UAE who also gained distance learning MA's. Is equivalency required by all employers? And has anyone gotten equivalency status for an MA achieved either online or via distance learning?

Regards,
burgess29
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Equivalency Process for Masters Degree / Distance Learni Reply with quote

burgess29 wrote:
Would be interested to know if anyone managed to gain equivalency if their MA degree was achieved via distance learning. Apparently, the Ministry of Higher Education rejects equivalency applications for applicants holding MA degrees gained via distance learning. Interestingly, they do approve MA's gained 'online' or via 'blended learning'.

FYI: There's no longer a body known as the Ministry of Higher Ed:

Quote:
Regulating authorities of higher education

Following the UAE Cabinet's reshuffle in 2016, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MoHESR) was merged into Ministry of Education with two Ministers of State in support. Accordingly, the present Ministry of Education oversees the general planning of higher education and scientific research in the UAE. The ministry is responsible for preparing draft laws for the establishment of federal governmental institutes of higher education and scientific research, as well as, licensing and accrediting private institutes of higher education.

Source: https://government.ae/en/information-and-services/education/higher-education/regulatory-authorities-of-higher-education

As for your question about equivalency, see the MOE's Equivalency Criteria of Interactive Online Learning Certificates (issued from outside the UAE). "Interactive" is likely the key component in determining equivalency.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that those that you know who succeeded did so before the two education Ministries merged into one. In the past, the MoHE accepted online and distance MAs, but the MoE did not. After the merger, apparently the rules of the MoE became The rule.

VS
sammysez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the above. I have seen many employers in the Middle East no longer take online or distance learning degrees. I certainly can't speak for everyone.

Look at many job ad openings and/or email recruiters and ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: