Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The biggest issue I have with posting my resume here...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: The biggest issue I have with posting my resume here... Reply with quote

....Is that my inbox is bombarded with emails from Chinese recruiters within hours. Is there any way around this? I specify, very clearly in public resumes that I am not interested in working in China in bold letters - Not looking for work in China as well as where I want to work (South America for example) and this is at the top. Yet, 90% of the emails I get are from recruiters in China. I remember responding to one saying "I did not realize China was in South America." Is this just an obnoxious side effect of making your resume public or can I somehow find a way around this? Hints?

Also, this is not just an issue with posting it here, but other related sites, just to clarify.

To be fair, there are a handful of places I would consider like Kunming, Suzhou or Xiamen or MAYBE Hangzhou but most of the emails are just so unappealing that I would prefer to just avoid all of them. I understand there may be no way around this.

Thank you!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas this is what happens. The "Delete" button is quite useful.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just got an Unsolicited email from an international school, apparently an IB one at that. First time for everything!
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters cast a wide net, and by posting your resume online you're inviting all kinds of unwanted messages. Keep your personal info private and problem solved.
yurii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
Recruiters cast a wide net, and by posting your resume online you're inviting all kinds of unwanted messages. Keep your personal info private and problem solved.

Yes, but the point of this section on Dave's is for employers to contact you. It makes no sense for a school from x country to contact you if you've clearly written you aren't interested in x country. When I signed up to this I got about 100 emails in a few days and more than 90 were from China (I also wrote that I wasn't interested in China!). In other words, if you're not interested in China please don't even bother using this service on Dave's!

scot47 wrote:
Alas this is what happens. The "Delete" button is quite useful.

Yes, but when you get 100 emails in the space of a few days it's rather annoying, plus you mightn't see some you are actually interested in.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Job hunting has never been easier than it is now with the internet. You sit down at a computer, post your info on a site, wait for offers to roll in. How long does it take to open an email and decide it's something you're not interested in? 5-10 seconds? If having to go through a few dozen of these is too much to deal with then maybe you're just not fit for work.
yurii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Job hunting has never been easier than it is now with the internet. You sit down at a computer, post your info on a site, wait for offers to roll in. How long does it take to open an email and decide it's something you're not interested in? 5-10 seconds? If having to go through a few dozen of these is too much to deal with then maybe you're just not fit for work.

As stated it's not a few dozen, but about a hundred - there's a big difference. You need to individually read each email to see if it's relevant or not (type of establishment, country, conditions etc) which is a waste of time if 90%+ are based in a country you don't want to work in.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTravel32 wrote:
....Is that my inbox is bombarded with emails from Chinese recruiters within hours. Is there any way around this? I specify, very clearly in public resumes that I am not interested in working in China in bold letters - Not looking for work in China as well as where I want to work (South America for example) and this is at the top. Yet, 90% of the emails I get are from recruiters in China. I remember responding to one saying "I did not realize China was in South America." Is this just an obnoxious side effect of making your resume public or can I somehow find a way around this?

My two-cents' worth:
    • China has the biggest need for EFL teachers, which is why you're mainly attracting Chinese recruiters.
    • Recruiters assume that if you're not interested in any of their positions, perhaps you will forward the opportunities to others who might be.
    • Vacancies in your target region are likely posted on schools' individual websites and not on global recruitment/job boards.
    • Vacancies in your target region are locally advertised and filled by job seekers who are already in country rather than abroad.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yurii wrote:

As stated it's not a few dozen, but about a hundred - there's a big difference. You need to individually read each email to see if it's relevant or not (type of establishment, country, conditions etc) which is a waste of time if 90%+ are based in a country you don't want to work in.

You can't quickly scan an email for keywords? Once you see the word "China" you move on to the next one. Many times the subject line is all you'll need to read. Even allowing an overly generous 30 seconds per email it still takes less than an hour to go through 100 of them. As I said, job hunting has never been easier and if you think sitting down scanning emails is too much you've got a problem.

Note. Have you ever heard of "filters"? Try using them in your email account as they can cut down the number of irrelevant messages you receive. The downside is you might not see an otherwise attractive offer simply because it fell within the parameters of your filter.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never posted my CV anywhere, I go through the ads for places I want to work in and apply that way. I find that recruiters sending unsolicited emails are trying to sell you something (just like cold callers do) which is 99.9% of the time to their advantage and not yours. They're unlikely to offer the best jobs to just anyone, and more likely to do so if the applicant shows a bit of self motivation - your effectiveness in the job will reflect on them.

It's time consuming, yes, but you're spending that time on getting a job which you'll be doing for at least a year so the time spent is worth it. You wouldn't advertise for unsolicited email to buy a phone, you'd do the research on different phones - and contracts - to find one that suits you best, then find out where to get the best deal for that particular model.

Sometimes I've applied to an institute - a direct hire - and spoken to the person in charge of recruitment. Other times my application has gone to a recruiter who's also had other local opportunities. Those two have both provided excellent results. People in charge of recruitment give a realistic idea of what it'll be like to work there, or you can usually tell they're lying. One job I turned down because the guy on Skype looked absolutely knackered and admitted to being terribly overworked, another I accepted just because the interviewer was so professional. A recruiter I contacted gave me a focused, small number of jobs that suited my experience and wants/needs. I accepted one and the job itself was decent, unfortunately the apartment was horrendous (something I'd have known if I'd done more research).
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my resume once somewhere, and this Chinese recruiter had stolen my info, photo, name and everything. They had me advertised as only looking to teach kindergarten. I was never interested in that, and didnt know who they were. When you googled my name, the shit came up. I was horrified. It looked to me like I was some kind of pedophile or something. I wrote them several times, and finally it disappeared. That sucked
simon44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, get a Mandarin speaker to write in Chinese at the top of your CV "Warning! I am blacklisted from entering China and liable to arrest!!"
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
Hmm, get a Mandarin speaker to write in Chinese at the top of your CV "Warning! I am blacklisted from entering China and liable to arrest!!"

But then if any person in a country of interest is wondering why there is Chinese on your resume they might translate it. I would imagine such a statement on your resume might give them a reason to give you a pass, especially if looking at a list of potential candidates.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, super judgmental. I am more than fit for work, not sure how your comment is related to my post (hint: It is not). Aren't we supposed to avoid personal attacks? In fact, often times I am so busy with planning, grading, teaching, meetings that, yes, shifting through 100s of unsolicited emails is quite annoying and time consuming in the few moments I have to check out possible job offers.

There is an international job board for a reason and a China job board for a reason. Why can't Chinese recruiters stick to the China job board? The onus is not on me to spend 15 seconds per email 100s of times. It SHOULD be on them to stick to a board specially made for them and to learn to read "Not interested in China." Has it really gotten to that point?

In some ways looking for a job IS easy but in other ways, to navigate the plethora of scams, etc. is quite hard at times. Never has there been so many scams either.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTravel32 wrote:
Why can't Chinese recruiters stick to the China job board?

They don't stick to 'China only' job boards for the reasons I gave above.

You've found that posting your CV/resume on a public board is a passive job hunting strategy analogous to attracting flies to honey. Since it's creating frustration for you and consuming your time, delete your document and only apply to job ads and directly to your target employers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: