Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on a recruitment agency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we go with ‘global work and travel company’
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Maybe
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Danwa88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Advice on a recruitment agency Reply with quote

My partner and I are looking for ESL teaching jobs in Vietnam and have been offered a job following a TESOL course through ‘global work and travel company’. Does anyone have any experience with them as a recruitment agency as there are a lot of mixed reviews and a lot of good ones and horror stories. It’s hard to know what to believe as it does sound like a convenient way of getting into the teaching world. But is it worth the money?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better to ask this on the Vietnam forum. I am guessing few who read that will also read the newbie forum, but they would have better insight.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be perfectly clear on this...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay a recruiter to get you a job in EFL.
A fool and their money are soon parted.

If you want to work in Vietnam (or anywhere else in SE Asia) and you have the documents needed to get legal (degree, TEFL/TESOL, police clearance, correct passport) then just fly in and get a job.

The school year is ending soon so there are currently only language academies but getting a job is about as difficult as walking down the street and handing out a few resumes.

Once you have your job you get your sponsorship for your visa. You do a quick visa run to Cambodia or Thailand to get your business visa. You return and get your work permit. Good as gold for the next year.

IF you do not have a degree or have the wrong passport (not from one of: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) then do NOT pay an agent. Legal work (with visa and work permit) won't happen.

Fly in, get a job, get a sponsorship for your business visa and then do a visa run every 90 days until you get tired of it and change countries.

That is the best answer you are going to get without knowing anything about you.

Danwa88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your replies. We will definitely just continue looking and I will post this in the Vietnam group also with some extra information. The cost covers a month accommodation in Thailand and excursions and transfers while studying a tesol as well as support while in a job. So supposedly takes a lot of the hassle out of the process. But it sounds like a lot of the perks are things we could just do ourselves for cheaper. Thanks again. Appreciate it
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwa88 wrote:
Thanks both for your replies. We will definitely just continue looking and I will post this in the Vietnam group also with some extra information. The cost covers a month accommodation in Thailand and excursions and transfers while studying a tesol as well as support while in a job. So supposedly takes a lot of the hassle out of the process. But it sounds like a lot of the perks are things we could just do ourselves for cheaper. Thanks again. Appreciate it

You may have seen this already, but there have been some complaints about this company regarding whether they actually line up real jobs for people like they promise: Authorities investigate The Global Work and Travel Co accused of rip-offs by former staff and customers. The article is from about 3 1/2 years ago, so they might be better now (but I have no idea).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: