Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My English teacher is weird!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: My English teacher is weird! Reply with quote

"What do you do about weird foreigner teachers in Vietnam?"

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/city-diary/20180524/my-english-teacher-is-weird/45758.html

This article mentions the numerous foibles of foreign English teachers in Vietnam. Predictably, increased and more rigid regulation is suggested instead of improving working conditions in order to attract a better quality of teachers.

A brief excerpt:

Quote:
A large enough number of English native speakers (ENS) working in the Vietnamese educational landscape are just not competent enough, have personal issues that can impact their teaching or are hidden sexual predators taking advantage of the frequent contact with young, immature students. The majority of these teachers are male.
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: My English teacher is weird! Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
"What do you do about weird foreigner teachers in Vietnam?"

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/city-diary/20180524/my-english-teacher-is-weird/45758.html

This article mentions the numerous foibles of foreign English teachers in Vietnam. Predictably, increased and more rigid regulation is suggested instead of improving working conditions in order to attract a better quality of teachers.

A brief excerpt:

Quote:
A large enough number of English native speakers (ENS) working in the Vietnamese educational landscape are just not competent enough, have personal issues that can impact their teaching or are hidden sexual predators taking advantage of the frequent contact with young, immature students. The majority of these teachers are male.

The vast majority do their best even if they lack experience and qauls.

Yes, there are some who don't care, travelers and then the dysfunctional types.

As one of the comments noted below the article, demand outstrips supply at the moment. It may be this way for years.

One good start is to have all teachers at RES bring in their passport and visa for photocopying for the authorities.

That would reveal some "weird English teachers" on overstay of their visas.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My English teacher is weird! Reply with quote

Mushroom Druid wrote:
sigmoid wrote:
[b]"What do you do about weird foreigner teachers in Vietnam?"[/b

Quote:

The vast majority do their best...

...said the mushroom to the colon.

Well, that’s just magic!

This profession sure does attract some ‘characters’. Never came across any bad weird teachers when I was in-country. I do like the good weird teachers mind. They’re one of the reasons why I continue to teach.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I met far more 'eccentrics' teaching in the Gulf than I ever did in Vietnam. Just by the by, I was only in the GCC for two years and was in VN for over five.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird? Mentally ill more likely Laughing
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a concern that parents have, and I believe it is, the solution won't be checks, it will just be to go with female teachers. I don't know the data, but I suspect the chance of a student encountering a teacher who is whacko and into kids is about the same as winning the lottery- ie pretty rare. However, there is an impression that male teachers are a danger which is very annoying. In trying to find a temporary summer position, it is quite clear the better places prefer females.

I've taught overseas for 12 years now and worked with quite a few teachers, and I only ever encountered 1 who seemed suspect. He was in his mid 40s, no wife or ex-wife, no gf despite being good looking and he seemed to take a little too much interest in his students. Had them visit him in the office and sit on his lap and give them a candy. That was the extent of what I saw, but I was concerned maybe other things might be happening when he was alone in the office. I relayed my concerns to some of the other teachers and the manager, but they insisted he just liked kids. Shortly thereafter his contract was up and that was the last I saw of him.

The only other bad male teacher I've met was a guy when I was working at a big institute and it was quite clear he was coming to work hung over (or maybe still a bit drunk). They warned him and he did it again, maybe more than once, anyway he was gone in less than a month.

Are there a lot of inexperienced teachers who don't really deserve the title of "teacher"? Yep, there are quite a few who are fairly professional, but pretty clueless due more to a lack of experience than certificates in my opinion, but since they tend to be the younger more energetic teachers, some institutes will always be there to break them in.

If you are a young male teacher looking to get into teaching in any country in East Asia, (I have no knowledge of the Middle East) I would strongly recommend against it. Despite there being a number of scandals with female teachers these days, I don't think Asians are aware of them and the impression is that male teachers are risky/dangerous. This is in addition to salaries stagnating if not falling.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingplaya4 wrote:
If this is a concern that parents have, and I believe it is, the solution won't be checks, it will just be to go with female teachers. I don't know the data, but I suspect the chance of a student encountering a teacher who is whacko and into kids is about the same as winning the lottery- ie pretty rare. However, there is an impression that male teachers are a danger which is very annoying. In trying to find a temporary summer position, it is quite clear the better places prefer females.

I've taught overseas for 12 years now and worked with quite a few teachers, and I only ever encountered 1 who seemed suspect. He was in his mid 40s, no wife or ex-wife, no gf despite being good looking and he seemed to take a little too much interest in his students. Had them visit him in the office and sit on his lap and give them a candy. That was the extent of what I saw, but I was concerned maybe other things might be happening when he was alone in the office. I relayed my concerns to some of the other teachers and the manager, but they insisted he just liked kids. Shortly thereafter his contract was up and that was the last I saw of him.

The only other bad male teacher I've met was a guy when I was working at a big institute and it was quite clear he was coming to work hung over (or maybe still a bit drunk). They warned him and he did it again, maybe more than once, anyway he was gone in less than a month.

Are there a lot of inexperienced teachers who don't really deserve the title of "teacher"? Yep, there are quite a few who are fairly professional, but pretty clueless due more to a lack of experience than certificates in my opinion, but since they tend to be the younger more energetic teachers, some institutes will always be there to break them in.

If you are a young male teacher looking to get into teaching in any country in East Asia, (I have no knowledge of the Middle East) I would strongly recommend against it. Despite there being a number of scandals with female teachers these days, I don't think Asians are aware of them and the impression is that male teachers are risky/dangerous. This is in addition to salaries stagnating if not falling.

That was a scary story about that teacher taking kids into his office, makes my blood boil!
Interesting though, as it is not like this in China. A lot of it due to supply and demand of course but many schools like to hire males to balance things out a little. The vast majority of Chinese teachers being female.
I guess with the tightening regulations here in China there are not as many nutjobs as there would be in many SEA countries. Although there are definitely a few around haha!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think EFL weirdos are considered to be normal teachers here in most schools in Vietnam ....all be it men or women or the third kind....a mix of both! Laughing
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think EFL weirdos are considered to be normal teachers here in most schools in Vietnam.

Yes, the vast majority of the market in Vietnam is kids and teens who need edutainment and are used to passive learning. So, a whacky personality is actually the most important qualification.

Quote:
I guess with the tightening regulations here in China there are not as many nutjobs as there would be in many SEA countries.

Some regulation is beneficial, of course. But the idea that increased regulation will result in better quality teachers is a logical fallacy that is commonly employed by governments and organisations.

Basically, it's the stick and the carrot. A big stick will keep out some undesirable candidates, but who will replace them when you offer a very small carrot along with numerous dangers and annoyances?

If you want us to come and enjoy your overcrowded polluted cities, dangerous roads, weird food, rubbish-filled beaches, dealing with government officials, etc., you better sweeten the deal ‘amap’.

The people who have been on the circuit a while and have the most experience and best qualifications aren't looking for a cultural experience; they're looking for incentives and professionalism, i.e. a reason to stay.

A friend recently quit a job in China. After some holiday time, he hung out at the beach in VN doing Skype interviews and entertaining offers from schools in Thailand and Myanmar after eliminating Vietnam, etc. He went with the place that offered a higher salary, paid accommodation, visa and flights in Myanmar, quite logically. His job search lasted about 2 weeks. He’s not even a native speaker.

The bottom line is: if you want good teachers, get a bigger carrot.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL weirdos are very good edutainers. ...and I sincerely believe this is why wages are so low ....they are an oversupplied manpower resource and there are way too many of them here in Vietnam looking for work ! !
kurtz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
EFL weirdos are very good edutainers. ...and I sincerely believe this is why wages are so low ....they are an oversupplied manpower resource and there are way too many of them here in Vietnam looking for work ! !

Perhaps it’s time for you to retire then Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect more:

Quote:
Samantha, the English teacher from South Africa, says Vietnam will continue to be her second home in the foreseeable future as she has a very satisfying income in a culture where people are friendly and work opportunities are abundant.

“I know of people back in my country who want to come over for work too", Samantha said.

Vietnam a dream destination for expats
Getting a job is easy, cost of living is low, and quality of life is high.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/vietnam-a-dream-destination-for-expats-3756763.html
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Vietnam a dream destination for expats.
Getting a job is easy, cost of living is low, and quality of life is high."

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/vietnam-a-dream-destination-for-expats-3756763.html

Most of the comments posted with that article don't present a rosy picture. Confused
Mattingly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Expect more:

Quote:
Samantha, the English teacher from South Africa, says Vietnam will continue to be her second home in the foreseeable future as she has a very satisfying income in a culture where people are friendly and work opportunities are abundant.

“I know of people back in my country who want to come over for work too", Samantha said.

Vietnam a dream destination for expats
Getting a job is easy, cost of living is low, and quality of life is high.

"Dream destination?" That's a bit of a leap.

But it's the VN Express.

Yes, there are many people coming from one particular country for political and economic reasons.

Good if someone is in the mid-20s. After that, one needs to understand that he/she is dime-a-dozen in the EFL field.

This is not meant to be negative.

Yes, there is high demand.

And there is a high supply.

Tons of people getting miniscule hours working 3 jobs while still looking for more hours at a 4th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: