Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dhofar University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Dhofar University Reply with quote

Does anyone work at Dhofar University or know anything about it. They are currently advertising on TESOL.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never worked there, but, it is located in Salalah, which, IMHO, is one of the best spots in the Gulf. Most of the students will be Jabalis and, I dare say, won't be particularly motivated, but, that's typical for the region. Staff used to have trouble getting liquor licenses, but, that was a while ago and I'm not sure if that is still the case. Met a few people who worked there for years so they obviously thought it was OK. Sorry, that's all I can tell you.....
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I looked at photos of Salalah and it looks gorgeous! I loved Muscat when I visited a few years ago and would live there, though I'm not so much a city gal.
Earthbound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Working at Dhofar University Reply with quote

I have worked at Dhofar University and I know a lot about the place.
English teachers work on two separate programmes:majors and the foundation programme. The former makes for a pleasant work experience, but the latter should be avoided at all costs.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Working at Dhofar University Reply with quote

Earthbound wrote:

English teachers work on two separate programmes:majors and the foundation programme. The former makes for a pleasant work experience, but the latter should be avoided at all costs.

Do you at least have a say in where you're placed? Or do you just have to work wherever the admin assigns you?
aliasrachel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthbound: what didn't you like about the Foundation Course?
Earthbound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: FP or Majors Reply with quote

You apply to work on one of the two programmes. I believe there are advertisements for staff needed on the DU website.
That said, it is every FP teacher's dream to escape and work on the majors. Very few teachers succeed through this route as all attempts are consistently blocked. Some single-minded, persistent teachers have made it despite all the obstacles.
Earthbound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: What's to like? Reply with quote

In FP, a teacher's lot is not a happy one. You have to fight constant battles on three separate fronts with students, teaching colleagues and the management. I'm sure you can imagine some of the challenges, but with that place, it's something special, where do you start?! Give it a wide berth.
Have you considered applying to either the College of Technology, or the College of Applied Sciences in Salalah. Former FP teachers who either jumped or were pushed have found their niche in these places.
Earthbound

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Deleted post Reply with quote

It came as no surprise that a most illuminating post about FP was removed from this forum. They did the same last year after someone had posted an extremely well-written analysis of the place. Own goal number two!
It's worth visiting the DU website. Look at the latest newsletter on the FP page. You would be forgiven for thinking you were reading a description of Utopia! It's all there. List of unparalleled achievements. Tick. Prizes for everyone. Tick. Lots of smiling happy faces. Tick. Everything fine and dandy. Tick. Read between the lines. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any post was removed, it would have been because it broke the new rule about length. Obviously if it was about negative reviews, all 3 of yours would be gone.

VS
Earthbound

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity that long posts are not allowed. A full and frank description of a place can't be done in a few sentences. Being negative about a place one once worked at gives little pleasure. A good few years ago, FP had a wonderful woman as director. She was revered by teachers and staff alike. She had a firm hand on the tiller, yet delegated wisely and, above all, knew and trusted her teachers. After she left, things started going downhill.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have covered pretty well most of the negatives. In many cases those super long rants just end up seeming more personal whines... and very often one can see why the writer had issues. LOL

Most of the time the best approach is a few bullet points. When it comes to bad jobs, it is usually the same issues.

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged on to their web page to see if I can find sth and my computer started making noise because I got a trojan virus.. Shocked becareful youguys Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: