Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching adults or in a University

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gosta

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Teaching adults or in a University Reply with quote

Dear all,

I'm from the UK, have over 8 years' teaching experience, a CELTA and an MSc in TESOL from Edinburgh University. I would ideally like to teach at a university or to find a job teaching adults. Does anyone know of any positions I could apply for, or what would be the best way to search for such positions?

Any help would be much appreciated Smile
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way is to already be in Mexico with a work visa in hand...few universities hire from abroad. The same for language institutes - only the largest organizations will hire you at a distance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gosta

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. But how can I get a work visa without a contract? My understanding is I need an offer of work first. Also, I'm applying from abroad because I've been told I have to be in the UK to begin the visa process, I can no longer do it while I'm in Mexico.

Is this correct? If so, it seems like an impossible situation.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this correct? If so, it seems like an impossible situation.

Yep, this is indeed the catch-22 of things these days around here, at least for the type of work you are looking for. Mother F can offer some tips on universities for you.

What is possible to do is visit Mexico, interview with schools, get an offer, then do the visa paperwork at a Mexican consulate in the US, Belize, or Guatemala. This is common practice - you don't have to do it in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gosta

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, that seems a more reasonable option. I was told it had to be done in the UK.

Thanks for your help Guy Smile
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosta wrote:
Ah ok, that seems a more reasonable option. I was told it had to be done in the UK.

Thanks for your help Guy Smile

The only catch I've seen is that you need to have a visa for the country you visit. This happened to me...I went to McAllen, Texas for my own Mexican consulate visit and they asked me for my US tourist visa (I am Canadian). Caused a problem as Canadians don't get printed tourist visas - just a stamp in the passport. I had to go back to the border crossing which was fortunately not far away, and pay 7 dollars for a paper version of the US tourist visa and deliver that to the Mexican consulate.

Sounds strange but there it is. Not sure how that works for UK folks...though I imagine it is less of a problem in Belize or Guatemala.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: