Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Are You Doing Financially in Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Are You Doing Financially in Japan?
I'm Thriving. Making & Saving A lot of Money
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
I'm Just Doing Okay. Enjoying My Life Here & Managing To Save a Bit.
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Money's Too Tight To Mention.
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui says

Quote:
These schools don't tend to advertise although there is one website in Japanese that I know about for private secondary schools.

These kinds of jobs show up in peak hiring season on Ohayo Sensei and JREC. You can also find these kinds of jobs by networking at conferences, workshops and friend networks.

I received tokubetsu menkyo from a school that wanted certified teachers when I was dispatched. Those menkyo can take you far.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
taikibansei wrote:
I've posted links to the exact figures before: basically, university faculty here earn over 500,000 yen/month on average. They get lots of other perks too.

There are nearly 800 Japanese universities (including two-year colleges). Currently, there are over 21,000 foreigners working at these schools. Of this number, 8099 are full-time with tenure.

I (and others) have posted and posted here on how to get these jobs. That said, finding a full-time university position is about to become much more difficult, as the big hiring push (that I reported on here four years ago) has come to an end. Still, good jobs remain available.

Getting a university teaching job in Japan is unrealistic for most foreigners. You need qualifications galore including publications. The rest of us have to consider ourselves lucky to make 250,000 yen / month working dispatch or in an eikaiwa.

No, many (most?) foreign teachers move on from dispatch and/or eikaiwa into something better--e.g., direct hire with a prefecture, school ownership, university teaching...or even something outside of teaching. They learn Japanese, and work hard at getting the degrees and other qualifications necessary to make their move. I've known quite a few people--both through this board and elsewhere--who have made the move successfully.

And yes, it does take lots work, and sometimes a bit of luck too. The alternative to trying, though, is to be stuck in dispatch/eikaiwa in an era where job security is nonexistent and salaries (never high) are decreasing.
steki47

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer wrote:
The fees and financing of doing MAs and further study can be off-putting to people, but when you work out the extra income my friend has earned over 3 years - going from an entry-level ALT/eikaiwa job paying 230-250k a month, to one that pays 300k, with pay increments - he's probably earned at least 2m yen extra over the 3 years of an MA. That should cover most if not all of the costs of the fees.

I had a similar experience. I spent about $15K on MS. Broke even my first year at this uni. (Connections helped a lot, too.)
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a discussion with some ideas and experiences about moving ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: