Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life after TEFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ploughon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the responses. Who needs a careers adviser when you got Daves ESL Cafe?!

Im 34, male, from the UK. Back here since 3 months. My last job was IELTS examiner in China for 2 years. Have since set up as a freelance online IELTS preparation tutor, but its harder than I thought to get (paying) customers. This is what Im working on at the mo, but Im also thinking of a backup plan.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info.

What things interest you? Which skills do you feel are your best?
Tudor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ploughon wrote:
Ok thanks for the responses. Who needs a careers adviser when you got Daves ESL Cafe?!

Im 34, male, from the UK. Back here since 3 months. My last job was IELTS examiner in China for 2 years. Have since set up as a freelance online IELTS preparation tutor, but its harder than I thought to get (paying) customers. This is what Im working on at the mo, but Im also thinking of a backup plan.

Why don't you apply for the IELTS on-screen marking? Tedious as hell (as you'll know) and not as lucrative as it used to be but still not badly paid.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ploughon wrote:

I would stick to that. You have a specific skill set. Unless you have a particular idea of what else to do, I would look for IELTS-specific employment.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proofreading can earn a few shillings now and then. I do it for students doing MA and PhD theses.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
ploughon wrote:

Why don't you apply for the IELTS on-screen marking? Tedious as hell (as you'll know) and not as lucrative as it used to be but still not badly paid.

IELTS writing marking is twice as tedious now with the new online system - double the workload (and thus a far more intensive mind-numbing experience) for the same money. No thanks.
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londonlover wrote:
Tudor wrote:
ploughon wrote:

IELTS writing marking is twice as tedious now with the new online system - double the workload (and thus a far more intensive mind-numbing experience) for the same money. No thanks.

Sorry, I don't understand your comment - how is marking an IELTS writing task on screen 'double the workload' of marking the same script on paper?
bograt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Londonlover wrote:
Tudor wrote:
ploughon wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand your comment - how is marking an IELTS writing task on screen 'double the workload' of marking the same script on paper?

He probably means you get a lot more scripts to mark.
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I mean. In order to get the same amount of money as was offered under the previous system, you now have to mark twice the number of papers. Hence, a hugely increased workload or looking at it another way, a very big salary cut.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us gave up IELTS marking when new systems were introduced - with lower payments.

Added factor was the endless surveillance and checking
bograt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some of us gave up IELTS marking when new systems were introduced - with lower payments.

Added factor was the endless surveillance and checking

It's not a question of giving up though is it. It's more about not applying for the new full time marking job
dackinator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK student loan company now offers MSc funding. UK banks also offer MSc funding, and it's possible to take both.
Even if you have lived abroad, there is zero checks if you just lie and say you lived in your UK family home.

So for UK people its quite easy, full funding is available for retraining on a masters course.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over a decade in, with no plans after TEFL*, I'll be soon travelling to my seventh country (and third continent) to teach. My way of looking at it is this; at no time in the past - and probably no time in the future - will being able to work in so many countries be possible just by accident of being born in a native-speaking country. At some point either AI will flawlessly translate in real time or countries will realise you can get much cheaper (and often better) English teachers from India, The Philippines, Ghana etc.

*If someone has a good idea I'm all ears!
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dackinator wrote:
The UK student loan company now offers MSc funding. UK banks also offer MSc funding, and it's possible to take both.
Even if you have lived abroad, there is zero checks if you just lie and say you lived in your UK family home.

So for UK people its quite easy, full funding is available for retraining on a masters course.

That could come back to haunt a person Surprised
If it's found out someone was lying they could get hit with expensive overseas tuition fees.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

I'd go back to studying and get an HR qualification with some sort of Learning and Development modules. Loads of jobs and a step up from what you're doing.
I'm working with Learning and Development guys as a Coordinator supporting training solutions right now( courses, work placements, OJT etc). It's interesting and still 'teaching related' in some senses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: