Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can one remove the crutch of 'Phonetical Spelling?'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smalls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: How can one remove the crutch of 'Phonetical Spelling?' Reply with quote

Many of my students, ranging from teenagers to adults, ask for the phonetic spelling of the words they learn. Coming from the US, I have never learned the phonetic spelling, and I believe Canada is the same. I do not know about other English speaking countries. The students say that it is essential for their learning, but I do not know if this is because they are too used to this style of learning, which creates more work, or if it really is necessary. When I taught in Korea, the students never asked about the 'PS,' and it did not seem part of the education system, so I believe that it isn't necessary.
Any ideas or suggestions on how others have over come this barrier?
Maybe a website or two which would assist with teaching phonics? I think it is a little late to start learning the 'PS' so I would prefer another way.
Thanks for the time,
Kevin from Beihai
Kim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
I had the same problem last summer in Vancouver. Basically I taught myself the chart as I taught the class. I do understand the importance of learning it as it shows exactly how words are pronounced. In addition, it is essential when pointing out features of connected speech, such as elision or linking. I think you should just sit down and practice writing sentences and by no time you'll have it down. Good Luck
Edward

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Phonetics BIG help, learn it! Reply with quote

I am STILL in the same situation as you, but I look at it as my short coming, not theirs.

The phonetic pronunciation chart is very useful to them, because they know how to pronounce western alphabet for their PINYIN, which, aside from the Cantonese usually NOT knowing Pinyin, is essential for them to understand the alphabet as being useful for the Chinese.

Now I understand you said the Koreans didn't need it, but the Chinese definitely do, so do yourself a big favor, and look at the "crutch" as YOUR step-up the education ladder, not the other way around.

Now if I could just understand it as well, I would be much happier too!

Good luck

Edward
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I could be totally wrong, and would love to hear other opinions. But I think the phonetic system is a crutch and a deteriment. yes, they all use it because it is what there Chinese teachers know, who learned it from their chinese teachers, who couldn't speak English well.

Don't have time to do a thoughtful analysis, but I think it does more harm overall. They don't learn to talk by listening to others, talking to others. They don't learn phonics (every one know hooked on phonics...I know several k-school/promary schools that use it with wonderful results). They learn this dark age system that no one else uses to learn english words.

I don't think their reliance on the "phonetic system" is any worse then their reliance on their hand-held eletronic dictionaries (They are not allowed to open them in my classes unless I say so...I'm a tyrant)

I personally won't learn it, I discourage it, but they have never been weened from it. However, i could be totally wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: