Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan? Reply with quote

Is it just me?
I've been living in Japan for 10 years, but still feel no connection to this place.
Tokyo and Yokohama are very familiar to me, but don't feel like "home".

Part of it is that I feel that the Japanese are not very welcoming to foreigners.
Not very friendly and won't "risk" speaking a little English to me.

Sadly, I don't feel that this is a metropolis phenomenon. I've heard that in smaller cities like Kyoto, the locals are not very friendly.

These days, when I see newly-arrived Indians working in convenience stores and fast food joints, I just think "Good luck ever feeling a part of this society, buddy!"

Your thoughts?
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not just you. Lots of people go on a roller coaster ride in a new culture. The ups and downs may last a long time.

Is it that you are expecting others to connect with you? Have you got commitments that make Japan home?

I'm sure there are lots of us who have commitments here. The work I do is interesting, and I get paid adequately for it. There is a branch of my family, Japanese-Canadian, in another prefecture (I keep up with them over social media because we're all busy and far apart). Like a lot of other martial arts students, I have a circle of Japanese and non-Japanese members with whom I spend time in and out of the dojo. To get along better with coworkers, family and friends, everybody Japanese I encounter, I work on Japanese language learning, and passed JLPT N2 last year. This year, I'll attempt N1.

It's good to reassess what you're doing and why. I worked on an exit plan for a long time, and still think about what I want to be doing in 10, 20, 30 years. It makes me reflect on what keeps me here.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning Japanese and getting interested in some aspect(s) of the country and culture will enhance your life in Japan. If you just exist in the English-speaking bubble, it does limit what you can do. If you can communicate with the Japanese in their own language and be genuinely interested in Japan, then things can open up more for you. That said, there's still the permanent obstacle of having grown up in different societies with different friends, backgrounds, culture etc. which makes it harder to relate to each other.

I think the people who an English-speaking foreigner with zero-to-limited Japanese ability can get on with best are those Japanese that speak English and have lived and worked in an English-speaking country for a period of time. You can relate to each other's experience more easily. That's harder to do with a Japanese person who only really speaks Japanese and has only lived in Japan all their life. To get on better with those sorts of people, you really do need to get more steeped in the language and culture and have a longer experience of living in Japan
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan? Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
Is it just me?
I've been living in Japan for 10 years, but still feel no connection to this place.
Tokyo and Yokohama are very familiar to me, but don't feel like "home".

Part of it is that I feel that the Japanese are not very welcoming to foreigners.

Sadly, I don't feel that this is a metropolis phenomenon. I've heard that in smaller cities like Kyoto, the locals are not very friendly.

These days, when I see newly-arrived Indians working in convenience stores and fast food joints, I just think "Good luck ever feeling a part of this society, buddy!"

Your thoughts?

Black_Beer_Man wrote:
I moved into a sharehouse in March. I think the contract is full of illegal rules. For example: I have to live there a minimum of 6 months and I have to give 3 months advance notice to move out.

If I try to move out within 6 months, I will have to pay 3 month's rent penalty.

If I don't give at least 3 months notice, I will have to pay 1 month's rent penalty.

If I break both rules, I will have to pay both penalties 3 months + 1 month = 4 months rent.

Man! Can you believe that?
Only in Japan could a company write such a hostile contract for its customer.

But, is it legal? Can someone direct me to the housing laws? Japanese laws or Yokohama laws?

Uh, you've been here ten years, and you're living in a share house?

I think I'd recommend returning home and setting up something there, since it looks like japan isn't going to work out for you.

Maybe reserve a ticket for when your share house contract is up?

(PS--I resisted quoting some of your other original posts, but did look at them before deciding on this advice. And I'm serious, not trolling you. I think you time is up, and that you should move on. Perhaps to Korea, as you concluded in one of your threads that was locked?)
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the Tokyo area, where Japanese from other parts of the country feel is too cold.

Learning the language is not enough.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzjohn wrote

Quote:
Uh, you've been here ten years, and you're living in a share house?

It takes about a year or two to get established here. I think it took me about a year to find the perfect apartment for my needs, and later rented two whole houses on my own, which I then invited people to share with me. As you age, you probably want a place to call your own.

Also, other posts indicate that the op is working at an entry-level wage after 10 years here. Unless you are a kept woman/man, or have outside projects, I don't see why you would persist at that low wage.

Like kzjohn says, nobody's trying to troll you here. Like Marie Kondo says, if it doesn't spark joy, give it up.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to try hard and have a thick skin.
But it is kind of sad how many people have no Japanese friends even though they speak the language.

Part of the problem is the insane work culture. If you have a good job, it helps a lot.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Feel "A Connection" To Japan? Reply with quote

Black_Beer_Man wrote:

Think of it the other way round. If you'd lived in your home country all your life and only spoke English, and there were Japanese who came over to work in a Japanese language school, and had zero-to-limited English ability, and could only really communicate in Japanese, would you want to try and get to know them or befriend them? Would you go out of your way to learn Japanese and risk speaking Japanese to them?
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer addressed the topic of language use well when he flipped the script.

Still, as a language nerd, perpetual Japanese language learner, and educator, what Black_Beer_Man wrote really stuck with me.

Quote:

Recently, I’ve had intense conversations with colleagues and friends. They ask me about language learning, the education systems in various countries, immigration issues, the current state of world affairs. They often say they want to talk about these topics with me as I have different experience and perspective.

Most of my colleagues and friends with whom I have these conversations use Japanese language because they don’t speak English at more than a basic level. Learn the language. You don’t have to be near-native, either. If people really want to talk to you, they’ll be patient with whatever fluency level you are at.

As for interacting with people when I walk out of my house, I never expect to communicate with people in any language other than Japanese. And why expect English? A neighbor couple are stronger in French. A guy I catch up with at the local pub speaks Chinese and teaches me phrases now and again.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
There are people in my neighborhood who won't even bother to say hello in their language, and it happens to my Japanese wife too.
People are very tribal here.
As the outsider I am supposed to play the host even though I am the guest.
You can't make a connection with cold people.

In Osaka this can happen but not as much, so this is not about language.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui wrote

Quote:
As the outsider I am supposed to play the host even though I am the guest.

You say you’re the guest and you’ve been here how long?

If you’re under 25, recently arrived, and not acclimated to Japan (and probably not staying longer than 1-3 years) sure, you’re a guest.

You married into a Japanese family, you’re over 40 and speak the language? You’re not exactly a guest anymore.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you are a guest because you are not in the tribe
rxk22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
But you are a guest because you are not in the tribe

My in-laws moved to Sendai 20 some years ago. Their neighbors just started accepting them in the past 5-6 years it seems.
I think of myself as a talking dog. As that's how people treat me. Hey that dog talks, wow. Despite my N2 Japanese, people tend to hear what they want when talking to me. I've also had conversations with people and a week later they'll asked me if I can speak Japanese
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the outsider who has to play a role, that is what I mean by host/guest.
The natives can act passive and unfriendly.

Of course I do get asked when I am going back to the US, so I feel more like a guest.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met my share of indifferent, unfriendly neighbors, but I just ignore them. I've lived in two houses, participated in chonaikai, and did garbage duty/neighborhood watch. I did my best, and most people were welcoming. I've participated in the neighborhood matsuri, too. All of this with no Japanese partner, just me.

Most of my neighbors were elderly, and happy to take time to teach me "how to". There were total jerks, too. But they were jerks to everybody, not just me, the foreign lady.

Sure, I'm a novelty, but when I go out of my way to talk to nice people, I make friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: