Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laureate, TOP, COE (female) 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i did it for love

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Laureate, TOP, COE (female) 2018 Reply with quote

Hello All!

A couple of friends of mine are considering last-minute contracts in Oman and Saudi Arabia.

I would like to ask about conditions at Laureate female colleges, more specifically Al Kharj and Buraydah, in terms of working atmosphere and teaching hours, student attitude.

If anyone knows what might be the best/most tolerable COE or universities to work at now, please let me know.I am seeing overall that the conditions of the COE are not very good compared to universities. Are there some gems anywhere in the Gulf now?

Please feel free to PM, would appreciate some advice.

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Laureate, TOP, COE (female) 2018 Reply with quote

i did it for love wrote:
I am seeing overall that the conditions of the COE are not very good compared to universities. Are there some gems anywhere in the Gulf now?

There's no definitive answer to that question. It would depend on their qualifications. Generally, relevant degrees and experience net the better the salaries and working conditions in direct-hire university situations.

That said, if your friends expect to earn big money in the Gulf, be aware that contracted salaries have either been stagnant or declining over the past 5-8 years.
ex500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the COE providers are up for renewal in mid 2019. Employees are being paid only till the end of May (including teachers)

The gov't seems interested in continuing and expanding tech / vocational education but hasn't made contracts for 2019 yet.
Arenta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Laureate, TOP, COE (female) 2018 Reply with quote

i did it for love wrote:
Hello All!

A couple of friends of mine are considering last-minute contracts in Oman and Saudi Arabia.

They do seem to recruit at the last minute. A friend of mine got a job this way with a COE.

I would like to ask about conditions at Laureate female colleges, more specifically Al Kharj and Buraydah, in terms of working atmosphere and teaching hours, student attitude![/quote]

I can't comment specifically on Laureate college but a friend took a job at a COE college. It seems most of their positions are in remote areas. The working atmosphere is quite bad in terms of contact hours which are around 30-35 hours per week + they schedule staff meetings sometimes on Saturdays which eats into your weekend.

My friend found the attitude of the students ok, the usual low level English ability among Saudi students, unmotivated but generally not a problem, but that of the management was arrogant and dismissive to the teaching staff. She said they seemed to think the teachers were the least important part of the college and often made them work extra hours and were always coming up with various schemes which added to the teachers workload and adding on more and more admin tasks. Most of the staff were demoralized, tired, angry and on the point of quitting. Teachers can apparently be moved to a different location with sometimes less than 24 hours notice to a different part of the country and expected to arrive at work the next day with no time to settle in.

She said she would only ever tell people to work for COE if they were really very desperately in need of money. Under these conditions, it's not surprising they have a high turn over of staff. Three teachers quit before they had even begun the semester due to the attitude of management, while the DOS quit half way into the semester and returned to her home country. Not a good set up to work for to say the least. Crying or Very sad
Amerrycan Muslim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laureate has been given the boot... Teachers have been told that their last day will be in May 2019...
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saudis are thrashing and whaling again. I feel sorry for the teachers. I wonder what the canal between Qatar and Saudi Arabia is going to do for education in the kingdom. As if it could get worse there.
ex500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amerrycan Muslim wrote:
Laureate has been given the boot... Teachers have been told that their last day will be in May 2019...

Laureate hasn't been given the boot yet. What's your source? They are waiting on contract renewal.
Amerrycan Muslim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ex500 wrote:
Amerrycan Muslim wrote:

Laureate hasn't been given the boot yet. What's your source? They are waiting on contract renewal.

So... You were saying?
ex500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Amerrycan Muslim,

Laureate decided not to continue with CoE because they didn't deem the terms of the new contract lucrative enough. They weren't given the boot.

This the difference between saying someone voluntarily quit versus saying they were fired.

Also, the other providers haven't finalized contracts with CoE yet either for the coming academic year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: