Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary, pay, and rations for a DOS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setanta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Salary, pay, and rations for a DOS? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm working as a DOS at a school in Krakow.
I'm in negotiations for a more permanent/regular arrangement.
This year it's been that I bill the school for the hours I work and get paid a teaching hour for each, but sometimes it's difficult to keep track.

I'm thinking something along the lines of lump sum plus bonus for extra students joining courses, plus work I bring in from companies/corporations.

I think my role is a little more than just DOS, more like academic manager/director.
It's a small school that, like many, hasn't been doing so well in recent years, but has potential.
I also have a lot of respect for the owner, which is rare in my 15-year EFL experience.

What do you think? Especially interested in hearing from others who have been in similar situation.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setanta wrote:
This year it's been that I bill the school for the hours I work and get paid a teaching hour for each, but sometimes it's difficult to keep track.

I'm thinking something along the lines of lump sum plus bonus for extra students joining courses, plus work I bring in from companies/corporations.

I think my role is a little more than just DOS, more like academic manager/director.

It's unclear what your responsibilities are outside of teaching (e.g., number of teachers you supervise, curriculum design/development, test administration, student placement, facilitating training and in-service professional development, etc.). Plus, what benefits do you currently receive, if any? Are you full time or part time?
Setanta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to get some ideas from people who live/work here and have experience of the market in order to benchmark.

Are you based in Poland? Do you have experience of the market here?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but your posts seem mostly geared to Asia/ME and your profile doesn't say where you are based.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You initially asked about others who are/have been in a similar situation, which I have but in another country.

My questions were solely to pinpoint your role so that others familiar with Poland and the region have a clearer picture of what you do and what benefits you receive -- criteria that should be factored into an employment agreement regardless of the target country. (I often post to add food for thought for OPs and other readers.)
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Well, I'll chip in. Bit of background first: I live in Poland (was there yesterday) but no longer work there. I have many friends who teach in Poz. You are in the predicament that all teachers in Poland face. If you set yourself up as sole trader, you run into pretty extortionate ZUS payments after 2 years. The problem is, employers don't like giving umowa o pracas because they then have to ramp up their payments and many are on a tax fiddle anyway by giving you an umowa o dzielo. If your school isn't doing so well, they may be reluctant to increase your salary or their costs. If you are working exclusively for them, according to Polish law, they should have a proper contract for you anyways after a certain period of time. My wife is an HR manager, that's how I know this. Schools bank on your ignorance of Polish work law, so this never comes up.
My friend was a DOS of Linguarama more than a decade ago and she got a lovely 3 bed flat in the centre and about 4500 a month net. Other friends have been DOSs at IH and got a slightly less generopus deal.
Good luck. I think it suits the school for you to be freelance.
I've been telling people for years that Poland's no longer worth it. The schools are a joke when it comes to fiddling.extorting/not paying. The salaries haven't changed in 20 years ( I first taught there in 96). In that time the country has acquired European prices for everything except beer. I have mortgage free properties there, so I'm alright Jack but wouldn't dream of staying there to work if I were under 50 and had pretty little. When I go back, it's just going to be a few hours here and there to keep busy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: