Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why English teachers in Japan feel like frauds and what to d
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do many English classes/teachers still under-perform (to be kind)? Sadly, and particularly at many mid-rank or low-rank schools, yes. There are a number of reasons for this, though again kzjohn references one important one: It is no longer necessary to do well on the entrance exams to enter most Japanese colleges/universities. As even low-performing students can now enter university, parents and students are much less likely to complain...and without such complaints, MEXT is unwilling to confront individual teachers (and the powerful teacher union) over poor performance. I mean, heck, as far back as 1999, MEXT sent out the following to all teachers:

Quote:
A number of high school educators continue to hold the opinion that, until the entrance examinations change, the curriculum cannot be changed. Well, we would like them to understand that, both with the Center exam and the individual university entrance exams, extensive reforms have been ongoing for some time.

I.e., they had to send out a memo to high school teachers telling them, you know, that everything had been changed...because so many of them didn't care about/weren't paying attention to those changes. (This also reminds me of the time I got into a "discussion" with a JTE during a 2009 high school visit about the school's lack of preparation for the Center Exam listening section. He assured me that there was no listening section...despite the fact that a listening section had been introduced in 2006.)

Still, again, this was a low-ranked school. Many of the best schools/programs are producing very proficient speakers of English. Indeed, in a sense, they are almost doing too well--a number of even my best students have struggled to find employment directly related to English, as the competition for these choice jobs is now fierce.
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nineteen universities (38 schools/departments) now offer sufficient classes in English to allow students to graduate without taking additional classes in Japanese, with applicant numbers at these institutions increasing yearly.

Are there many foreigners taking these classes? Just wondering who they're marketed at.

BTW my J stint ended only a decade ago...arguably still long enough ago to be horrendously out of date, but nothing that I've read on this forum since about AETing has suggested the basic teaching has in essence really improved that much.

Last edited by fluffytwo on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:
Quote:
Nineteen universities (38 schools/departments) now offer sufficient classes in English to allow students to graduate without taking additional classes in Japanese, with applicant numbers at these institutions increasing yearly.

Are there many foreigners taking these classes? Just wondering who they're marketed at.

Mostly Japanese, though some foreigners do take these classes as well.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:

Tell you what Taikibansei, why not type up all the exemplars for tag questions from all those books you currently have sitting on your desk so we can decide for ourselves how good they all are.

Uh, sure, I'll get right to that! Laughing
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw c'mon, it's going to be perhaps a dozen key shortish sentences at most, and it'd be nice to have more than just your word that these textbooks have really improved that much.

Quote:
A surprising number of JTEs answered that they ignore the textbook exercises and just do what they want--including doing no English conversation in oral communication classes

No kidding! http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1144890#1144890
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:
Aw c'mon, it's going to be perhaps a dozen key shortish sentences at most, and it'd be nice to have more than just your word that these textbooks have really improved that much.

So, you are going to evaluate textbook quality based on a random sampling? This should be fun! Here are some representative models/exercises:

Quote:

I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Antonio. I was born in Puerto Rico, but I grew up in Queens, New York. I hope we can get to know each other and get along well this year.

Quote:
Hi, Lori. What ______ (be) you ______ (do)?

I _____ (shop) with my parents. We _______ (look) for a new school bag and clothes at a department store.

Quote:
I have a dime. Here is my dime for a Popsicle.

Quote:
Do you come from Osaka?

Yes, I come from Osaka.

Quote:
We will walk home from school. We ________ to school this morning.

Quote:
Did you wish for a new bike? Yes, I ________ for one.

Please let me know how bad they are! Very Happy

Last edited by taikibansei on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:

taikibansei wrote:
A surprising number of JTEs answered that they ignore the textbook exercises and just do what they want--including doing no English conversation in oral communication classes, and requiring no writing in writing classes.

No kidding! http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1144890#1144890

Um, not quite sure what that link was supposed to tell me, as the post it links to appears to have no connection with either my comment or with this thread.

Oh, just so you know, I am basing my comments not just on personal observation, but on two national studies conducted by MEXT itself:

MEXT. (2012). 4. 質問紙調査結果(生徒質問紙・学校質問紙). Retrieved from http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/kokusai/gaikokugo/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2013/03/28/1332393_2.pdf

MEXT. (2016). “平成26年度 英語力調査結果(高校3年生)の速報(概要).” Retrieved from http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/chukyo/chukyo3/053/siryo/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2015/05/25/1357975_002.pdf

You'll find that the data there supports me. Wink
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link I gave was to help show that JTEs indeed may do just what they want (in the negative sense) - they either select examples as bad as or certainly no better than those in the set textbooks, or simply make ones up themselves (which are unsurprisingly usually even worse).

The fact that you've chosen to not supply any examples of tag questions from supposedly improved books would suggest that that area is still functionally lacking. As for the "random" sampling you've provided, I note a tiring preponderance of "full-form" answers (thus demanding more of foreign learners than native speakers usually bother to say, or their communicative focus is necessarily elsewhere than always echoing the question forms back) and a general stiltedness in the last four quoted items. The first is OK I suppose but the second would be odd were it face to face rather than on phones (especially the 'at a department store'). Long story short is I for one would not be happy to be a co-author of/much more than a mere advisor for such content.

As for the general gist of what you're saying, it just seems to ultimately be that good schools produce more able students and vice-versa, and that you're fortunate enough to work at a reasonable uni. Pity then those (natives and foreigners) who get chewed up at the less than stellar schools or indeed at eikaiwa, the stuff of the original topic of the thread (sorry but yeah, I like my moaning as much as the next lowly AET's or eikaiwa drone's! Improvements are obviously beyond us despite what we may still witness).
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:
As for the "random" sampling you've provided, I note a tiring preponderance of "full-form" answers (thus demanding more of foreign learners than native speakers usually bother to say, or their communicative focus is necessarily elsewhere than always echoing the question forms back) and a general stiltedness in the last four quoted items. The first is OK I suppose but the second would be odd were it face to face rather than on phones (especially the 'at a department store'). Long story short is I for one would not be happy to be a co-author of/much more than a mere advisor for such content.

Here's where I took each from:

Quote:
I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Antonio. I was born in Puerto Rico, but I grew up in Queens, New York. I hope we can get to know each other and get along well this year.
(Words in Motion, Oxford, pg. 13)

Quote:
Hi, Lori. What ______ (be) you ______ (doing)?

I _____ (shop) with my parents. We _______ (look) for a new school bag and clothes at a department store.
(Uncover, Cambridge, p. 25)

Quote:
I have a dime. Here is my dime for a popsicle.
(Reading Practice Book, Houghton Mifflin, p. 3)

Quote:
Do you come from Osaka?
Yes, I come from Osaka.
(Business Plus, Cambridge, p. 3)

Quote:
We will walk home from school. We ________ to school this morning.
(Everything for Early Learning, McGraw Hill, p. 173)

Quote:
Did you wish for a new bike? Yes, I ________ for one.
(Everything for Early Learning, McGraw Hill, p. 173)

I.e., all models/exercises were written by native speakers and taken from the major publishers.

As I'm approaching the 300-word limit, I'll explain why I did this in my next post.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took models/exercises from textbooks written by native English speakers and put out by the major publishers to make two points.

First, in the absence of outright error, looking at such models/exercises tells us little. Language learning exercises, particularly at the beginning levels, often seem artificial to masters of that particular language. This is true for L1 acquisition as well--two of the quoted exercises are taken from popular textbooks intended for 1st grade native speakers of English.

Second, I think some people here are inflating the importance of teachers and school curriculum in language acquisition. I learned Japanese over 30 years ago while living in the US, using the Nelson dictionary (to learn kanji) and Kenji Ogawa's New Intensive Japanese (to learn grammar). The usage examples in the latter book are completely unnatural, mirroring Japanese used in the Meiji Era. While I would never use the speaking examples in actual conversation, I absolutely loved this book. It gave me a very strong understanding of grammar, building the foundations for all my later learning. Indeed, within a year of arriving in Japan, I had already passed 2 kyuu on the Nihongo Nouryoku Shiken and was working on 1 kyuu...all thanks to that ugly green book.

I think most people who have mastered a foreign language have similar stories. Yes, some may have met a good teacher or taken a good class as well, which is great. Many, like me--and like a large number of our students--have not, and still do fine. I remind myself of this whenever I get depressed thinking about how "the system" has let our students down.
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is contesting that textbooks from the major ELT publishers often aren't up to much either (note my reply too to Yurii). What would be more revealing then than my "failure" to recognize quite where your quotes were from would be for you to simply supply relevant examples for the language area I requested (tag questions, which are never that well-contextualized, especially in Japanese schools) from those books you claim to have on your desk.

Last edited by fluffytwo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 am; edited 2 times in total
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that examples that do not reflect norms of usage are in fact errors or failures, at least of linguistic taste, imagination and judgement on the part of the writer or compiler. They should and nowadays of course can do better. It is to your credit that you were able to go beyond and somehow extrapolate from the "data" in the abstract, but not all learners (Japanese ones especially) are as capable of that, and every extra item and point can become a burden for some that is quite hard for them to overcome. Why make the language more unreflective and "testing" than it really needs to be? I prefer to furnish my students with maximally-useful stuff, and reduce whatever artifice is involved down to as near zero as possible.

Last edited by fluffytwo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original goes something like: "He picked up the lemons that Fate had sent him and started a lemonade-stand."

Now, it's "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

The BS early on in this thread (and others here) about bad books, bad ALTs, bad JTEs, too much or too little of L1, L2, or some interlanguage, blah, blah, blah, goes way too far in most cases. (on edit: and bad hiring practices, bad salaries, no "good" jobs, hapas who can't speak English...!)

Frankly speaking, those broken records who moan, complain, demean, and, of course, project that there's some kind of disdain out there, should at some point that's sooner rather than later, shut up and show everyone how they made lemonade.

Becoming a whiner and complainer is the easy way out--exemplifying something creative in the face of odds stacked against you is what is admirable.

And who knows, you might find that the odds are far more favorable than you had thought.

Last edited by kzjohn on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
kzjohn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffytwo wrote:
kzjohn, what rxk said (partway down pg 5, before you two got onto discussing international test cricket scores) was that he has seen 'total disdain for grammar to the point where it is Japanese grammar structure with English vocab'. So he was talking about some teachers' apparent disdain for language(s). His personal "disdain" or lack thereof for anything including such teachers or rather teaching is beside the point, and not what he said.

You don't just see and identify 'disdain', like you would if someone was wearing a white shirt and a necktie.

The observer who supposedly "sees" that is being very judgmental--and very unprofessional, IMNSHO.

And it was "apparent disdain" now? Stop apologizing for someone else.
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't see what is so inexcusable about simply pointing out that unimaginative stuff such as "full" answers do little more than waste time and may cause some learners to develop hang-ups (I'm all ears however if there is conclusive research that shows otherwise), and that a well-designed syllabus will have plenty of necessarily full statements elsewhere within it that will more than compensate for the "loss". And I've supplied more than enough lemonade recipes on these forums gratis, thanks. But of course all this pales in comparison to very good-natured repeated demands that a single word somebody dared to use be explained, and explained, and explained.

Still waiting for those quality tag question examples, by the way (Taiki).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: