Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple quick questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
yurii wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
The TEFL situation in Japan will likely have changed by the time you graduate.

And how, Nomad Soul is this likely to change in a few years?

There will be a major demand for more English teachers ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Lots of those TEFLers will probably stay once the Games end, adding to an already popular market. Just my prediction.

The OP's question which you quoted was:

GreenHorse wrote:
Is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa?

Pre-Olympics / Post-Olympics an eikaiwa is not a career. As kzjohn said it's akin to flipping burgers. I don't see how the Olympics is going to affect whether or not said jobs become a career.
isitts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: A couple quick questions Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
1. Are there jobs in every prefecture, teaching English? I looked up wikipedia and the company sites for Aeon, ECC, Gaba, Dean Morgan, etc. and all their schools are clustered around Tokyo. Osaka, and a few other places. Some smaller prefectures have no schools for any company, yet they still have some large-ish cities. Do people there just not learn English?

You could apply for the JET Program. I think those jobs tend to be more in the provinces now. Or start at one of the places you mention above and move somewhere else once you’re in the country.

GreenHorse wrote:
2. It may be a harsh truth, but for the places that cater mainly to kids (Peppy Kids Club, Seiha, etc.) do they mainly just want female teachers under 20? or do they recruit all ages and both genders? Just curious... I have a lot of experience with kids, but even here in Canada it's hard as a male to get a job working with them.

Don’t concern yourself with that. Just apply.

GreenHorse wrote:
3. I see a lot of talk about unions, general unions, etc... are these mandatory to join? I don't want to go on strike or pay union fees if possible...

I’ve never joined one.

GreenHorse wrote:
4. Doomsayers aside, is it possible to make a career out of teaching at an eikaiwa? The pay actually doesn't seem too bad, even for an entry level teacher (more than I get here anyhow). Will they keep you on if you keep giving 100% and doing well? I (sadly) have a lot of experience with craptacular jobs and tend to do well even at things others get tired of. And to live in another country would be worth it.

If you can manage your money, then you’ll be fine. Also, any job that at least subsidizes/caps your rent (or gives you a housing allowance) will go a long way in helping you live more comfortably.

Pretty sure my friend who still works in Japan (with a wife and child) works with an eikawa. I’m not sure if his spousal visa allows him better work opportunities.

But thinking that far ahead is kind of getting ahead of yourself. Just try it out for a year or two and see what you think. See where it leads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: