Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examining and Travelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherteacher83

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: IELTS Examining and Travelling Reply with quote

Hello, I did a search and noticed many (ex) examiners complain about the amount of travel you have to do. Does it depend on which region you work in? For example if you work for BJ how many days a week month would you spend outside of the city?

TIA
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’d be traveling most based out of Beijing, but seeing more of the country and having opportunities to earn bigger money. Latest figures are 40k to 50k for Beijing.

Could be away from home 4 or 5 days a week, if there is a test scheduled, and perhaps not always in the same place during these periods, i.e. fly from Beijing... 2 days testing.. fly again... 2 days testing... fly back to Beijing.

Traveling has to be experienced to be believed here. Bring headphones and a whole heap of patience to lessen the cognitive load.
teacherteacher83

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. How about if I didn't want to spend that much time away from home and just did 15 days. Would I be able to spend more time in Beijing? If not which base has least travelling or time spent in base/ home city?
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If electing to do 15 days each month it would be possible to travel for 9 or 7 days each month depending if there are 3 or 4 tests scheduled in the month. However, some tests are bigger than others so you may end up with only 12, 13 or 14 days work, because knowing what days to make yourself available would be tricky.

The 2 day’s Writing marking each test week you choose to work could also only be a day and a half’s work so you may again fall short of the 15 days. Also, although you on paper would only travel for 7 or 9 days you need to factor in the days lost before the test for traveling so in fact it would still be more like 10 or 13 days away from home.

As for differences between home bases, I only worked at one so can only really give general information. Beijing has lots of work and covers lots of China for the best money. Shanghai has the least flying but many train journeys instead. GZ and CQ I know next to nothing about.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GZ and CQ I know next to nothing about.

I worked for the GZ division when I was living in Xiamen. At that time we didn't have to mark scripts, we could just do the spoken exams, which 90% of us chose to do.

I would examine anywhere between 1-3 weekends/month, there wasn't much Thu-Fri work.

It certainly bumped up my earnings, and I saved nicely during that period. However I wouldn't be able to do it again, it's just too brain numbing - it took me a full Monday to get my head to stop spinning.

The highlight was a weekend in Haikou - I went early and checked into the Sheraton Resort (which they used at that time for examiners). Pretended I was in South East Asia for a day, until I encountered the breakfast buffet (y'all know what I'm sayin').

Also took plenty of trains to/from Fuzhou, and flights to/from Nanchang, Wuhan and Changsha. After waiting six hours for a flight to Nanjing the gate staff told us to "come back tomorrow", so didn't get to examine there. Boo hoo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: