Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Brits in Turkey who can answer questions on visas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Londonnach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Any Brits in Turkey who can answer questions on visas? Reply with quote

I've been accepted to work in a small university in Turkey. I've not been to the country before but I love the culture and the history and I have taught many students from the Middle East and Southern Europe before.

I have a ton of questions but mainly I'm interested in finding other Brits who have gone through the visa application process. In particular, did anyone else need to send translated documents (e.g. CV, degree certificate) and if so can you recommend any Turkish translators in the UK who can provide 'notary certified' translations?
ossie39

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I will try to give some answers. It constantly changes so it's worth keeping an eye on. YÖK is the establishment regarding Turkish private and state universities. You will eventually get a white plastic card with your photo on it and details. This acts as your kimlik (proof of identity in Turkey.) This card is totally different to other areas of work, even teachers in schools and language schools. This is because the process is quicker. In order to get this card, YÖK must assure itself that the applicants background (from cv and qual photocopies, references) is suitable to teach in a university.
Yes you will be asked to translate and notarise your details and this usually means your highest qual and a tefl teaching qual. It is best that this is done in the city in which you wish to work because some establishments get fussy about this. Never worked in Turkey before, means a visit to the consolate in your country, pre-booked appointment, online usually. Bring money and photos and letter of invitation for work. It's likely that a noter and translater can be suggested by the consolate. In summer things go slowly so there can be a maximum 12 week wait for paper work. I hope this helps.
Londonnach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ossie39 wrote:
Hello I will try to give some answers. It constantly changes so it's worth keeping an eye on. YÖK is the establishment regarding Turkish private and state universities. You will eventually get a white plastic card with your photo on it and details. This acts as your kimlik (proof of identity in Turkey.) This card is totally different to other areas of work, even teachers in schools and language schools. This is because the process is quicker. In order to get this card, YÖK must assure itself that the applicants background (from cv and qual photocopies, references) is suitable to teach in a university.
Yes you will be asked to translate and notarise your details and this usually means your highest qual and a tefl teaching qual. It is best that this is done in the city in which you wish to work because some establishments get fussy about this. Never worked in Turkey before, means a visit to the consolate in your country, pre-booked appointment, online usually. Bring money and photos and letter of invitation for work. It's likely that a noter and translater can be suggested by the consolate. In summer things go slowly so there can be a maximum 12 week wait for paper work. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for answering. The university have informed me of all the documents I need for the work permit from YOK, and they have all been received, with the exception of the notarised translation of my degree certificate. I previously contacted two translation companies, they told me two different things about the specifications needed for this notarised translation - my employer didn't know exact details either. So I have contacted the two Turkish Consulates in the UK as you suggested, awaiting their reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: