Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan? Worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certified / taught in public school after returning home, and work at a private Japanese high school. Most international schools here want a different specialty.

Try internationalschoolsreview.com and tieonline.com and tesol.org

That's the best I can help you.
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Japan's economy Reply with quote

Terrisko wrote:
But what I miss most today is the refreshing economic patriotism that once made Japan great. Only when the well-known attribute "Made in Japan" returns, things will improve again.

Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, it was common for my students to dutifully and cheerily thank me when I mentioned an item made by a major Japanese company that my family or I had purchased when I lived in the US.

me: "My sister drove a Honda that I thought was quite nice."
student: [enthusiastic silent clap] "Oh, great!"

I suspect it was usually more a matter of indoctrination than reasoned patriotism, but I remember some students who were more thoughtfully patriotic without being xenophobic or exclusionary. That was refreshing.

To those who have been teaching in eikaiwa for several years, how has enrollment changed? When I was there, there were lots of students who attended just as a hobby or for the chance to meet foreigners. Do you still see a lot of that?
Terrisko

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Japan's economy Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, it was common for my students to dutifully and cheerily thank me when I mentioned an item made by a major Japanese company that my family or I had purchased when I lived in the US.

Me: "My sister drove a Honda that I thought was quite nice."
Student: [enthusiastic silent clap] "Oh, great!"

I suspect it was usually more a matter of indoctrination than reasoned patriotism, but I remember some students who were more thoughtfully patriotic without being xenophobic or exclusionary. That was refreshing.

Looking back on the historical background, indoctrination had no place in Japanese society after 1952. But during the 1950s, they began to study the former war enemy USA and its industrial organization very closely. The result was a fast-growing industrial nation that set itself the goal from the beginning to defeat the economic power of the United States on an economic level, and they did that, as you can see today. To develop such a tremendous amount of power in such a short time requires more than just indoctrination. An indomitable iron will, deepest convictions and a corresponding amount of pride have led to it.

The moral basis for this development should be known to everyone today, the wounds left by the nuclear attack on the civilian population in 1945 will never be forgotten. This has been and is being paid back to Americans to this day by the economic patriotism born in the Shōwa era!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: