Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary Issues related to living in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Salary Issues related to living in Qatar Reply with quote

The proposal I have states that after fulfilling a year-long contract in Qatar I will be given a gratuity of one month's base pay. I am curious to know if that will be paid to me at the end of the year, left in a bank account for me to obtain after, or some other scenario. Does anyone have any experience in this?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may depend on your particular employer, but everywhere I worked paid your accrued gratuity with your last pay when you are on your way out. If you renew the contract, you are normally pushing the pay of the gratuity forward. I had friends who had taught at the same institution for 20+ years who left on that last plane with hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Even with a one year contract, I wouldn't consider leaving the country at the end of that contract without that money in hand and/or already transferred home. (assuming that you are not returning)

VS
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Thanks.

Do you know anything about level of pay grades?

I'm starting at grade F (HAHA not good). Do you have any idea what the level would go to? Does it increase in reverse??? F, E, D, C, B, A...etc.?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:

I'm starting at grade F (HAHA not good). Do you have any idea what the level would go to? Does it increase in reverse??? F, E, D, C, B, A...etc.?

That's a question for that former CCQ teacher you communicated with or HR.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Hemlock32 wrote:

That's a question for that former CCQ teacher you communicated with or HR.

Good idea nomad! Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:

That is totally employer specific... no way we would know that one.

But good fantasy that F is the top pay. Laughing

VS
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Salary Issues related to living in Qatar Reply with quote

Hemlock32 wrote:
The proposal I have states that after fulfilling a year-long contract in Qatar I will be given a gratuity of one month's base pay. I am curious to know if that will be paid to me at the end of the year, left in a bank account for me to obtain after, or some other scenario. Does anyone have any experience in this?

It depends on the institution. Some of the Gulf employers are quite upfront about the fact that it will take at least a month after you have left the country before they pay you your dues. This, after you had submitted all of the many docs on time starting the month before your departure.

It’’s the way the scales are tipped in the Gulf. HR sends an e-mail request one day & expects compliance before nightfall. Teacher sends request to HR one day, repeats it several days later, goes in person, goes in person the following week as staff member was ‘on holiday’, submits request, told to wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: