Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z visa in Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg 09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Z visa in Hong Kong Reply with quote

I did a search here for this topic and didn't find anything recent, sorry if I'm repeating a tired old question. Bottom line is I may have to go out of the country to get a Z visa so I can get a Residence Permit here locally. Its a long and sad tale fraught with drama and disappointment and everything you need for a good Franz Kafka novel. The Bureaucracy always wins. Their unbending rules and regulations are always and everywhere heavier than your resolve to fight.

I'll state my basic question first, then launch into the backstory for those who are interested. Its illustrative of the new policies in China vis foreign teachers of a certain age.

And the question is: can a foreigner (American) still get a Z visa in Hong Kong? Yes all the documents are in order, I have everything to qualify. I already have the Foreign Expert Card in hand from the Provincial FEB in my new Province.

The problem is that I'm currently in China on an S2 visa. The local police here want me to have either a Z or a currently valid RP. My RP expired June 30 this year and I have an S2 because the FAO in my old city was kind enough to get it for me to buy some time.

Why did I need to do this? Because the FEB in my old province denied my FEC application one week before my RP expired. Why did they do this? New China Policy: nobody over age 59. This gave me no time to think, not to mention do any planning on what to do next.

So I got the S2 which gave me 45 days to find something in another Province, which I did. The new FAO got my FEC and I thought everything was guns and girls until today. We went to the local police and they denied my RP application because I had an S2 visa. No negotiation.

I can go back to the US, go to HK or go to Korea. Trying to find my best option here. Sigh

Sorry for the venting, hope you understand. Muchas gracias to any informed replies.
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'guns and girls ' means trouble , right ? (just kidding)
Your situation is complicated , and I am not American , but I have just gone from an RP (family) to a z visa, by way of a trip to Hong Kong .

I used the excellent Forever Bright Trading company as visa agent , near Hung Hom in Kowloon. You can walk there from the station . 4 day processing was 1490 HKD, but every country's passport has a different price structure and 'surcharge' (imposed by the China Foreign Ministry , not the agency).
They offered 2 day processing for 2490 HKD. (eg apply Monday am before 9.30, collect Tuesday pm after 1pm)

I am not a new teacher in China , and like you , am pushing 60, so there is a good chance you also can get a z visa.

My school gave me lots of documentation , contract etc, but I only needed the 'Notification letter of Foreigner's work permit in the PRC' . A two page form with your and the school's details, in English and Chinese. You must have both pages. (even though the English one is just a translation of the Chinese one)
It's an online system so the form has a barcode ,and when the school applies to the local education office , it must specify that you will get the z visa in HK.
But , there is nothing on the Notification letter which mentions HK.

Under the old system you needed also a 'letter of invitation' , but this is no longer required.

You should print out the Notification letter in colour so you have the red government stamp.
You also need two photos , but the agency can take for you. They also guide you through filling in the application form.
You will need obviously address and contact details of your new school.

The agency is busy Monday morning , but seemed quiet on Tuesday (I had to go back because the school only gave me the chinese version of the Notification letter)
I would recommend using an agent , because of the wait and uncertainty at the visa application centre on HK island, and Forever Bright definitely knew what they were doing.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all that, very helpful and its probably my best option. Question: can you do this by post and not have to go to HK in person?
teenoso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my wife asked the same question , but you need the entry stamp in your passport which begins the 30 day validity on the z visa.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep didn't think of that. Thanks a million.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: